1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DID ERV3 520 chain pin pean torque

Discussion in 'Tech' started by derrickhackman, Feb 22, 2007.

1. derrickhackman

derrickhackman Well-Known Member

I am installing my DID 520 and I am pean-ing or otherwise hammering the pins and I imagine the is a torque setting or some rule of thumb for pean-ing or mushrooming the pin heads. What torque to use for the DID chain?

I am using the Motion-Pro chain tool and have the link plate installed I just need to pean/mushroon/hammer/anvil the pins.

Thanks

:beer:

2. derrickhackman

I am just going to pean it by eye... get a good bit of flair and be done with it.

3. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

That's pretty much it.

- Roach

4. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I usually smash them till they measure the same as a factory one, and measure them with calipers. Just remember not to "set" the plate so deep it mushes the o-ring, I measure that with calipers also.

5. derrickhackman

I set the side plate by eye and it looks good with the pins having what looks like the same pass-through as the other pins.

I will anvil them over to match the stock ones.

:beer:

6. Dan Kyle

Dan Kyle Well-Known Member

Measuring witha pair of calipers the dia of the peened part should be expanded to 5.5 to 5.6 MM.
    If you go much larger it will crack. .
    I have not had much luck with the Motion pro tool, the DID tool works very very well.

7. CALR1

CALR1 Well-Known Member

yes yes... measure twice.

seen a tight spot many times.

8. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Just expand the pin a bit, there is no torque setting, measure the pin with a caliper or by eye.

9. LJM

LJM Member

It is not simply a question of torque; it has more to do with experience. If you are unsure spend the extra and have a qualified mechanic do it for you. The 30 bucks spent is a small price to pay. Having a chain replacement go bad could be fatal. If you must learn on your own then go to your parts supplier and purchase a few extra links. Use these to practice with. Links cost about 5-6 dollars. You may now use your torque wrench and various settings to create a “cause effect.” When the pin has the proper “head flair” you will know it. I will tell you that most novices [under flair] out of fear of destroying the link. Links are cheap and replaceable, your ass is not. Take care!

10. gothicbeast

gothicbeast Back by court order

I am going to try to install my own 520 chain soon. What is the best tool for this job. I don't mind spending a few $$$ if the tool makes the job easier and quicker.

What tool is the best.

11. derrickhackman

I got the motion pro tool jumbo chain tool and the quad stake chain rivit kit.

12. crshovrd

crshovrd Well-Known Member

i'm about to attempt this myself...i purchased the motion pro kit as well (all-in-one). Comes with anvil's and everything...but have yet to use it. From these posts it sounds very touchy...i've never done one...you're saying i shouldn't do it?

13. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

It needs to be done correctly, but it's not rocket science.

If you have any doubts about doing the job, just order an extra link (or 2) and practice on it until you get a good feel for using the tool.