1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

deviated septum surgery

Discussion in 'General' started by healthhut, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Smokes35

Smokes35 Well-Known Member

This sounds like the worst thing thats ever happened to anyone who wasnt in a near death circumstance... EVER

im wearing a nose guard of some sort.

2. Rodger

Rodger RamJet

I used Afrin extra strength for ALOT longer than the directions recommended , went to a specialest & was told my nose looked worse than a drug users . 1rst thing was to get unaddicted to the nasal spray & the reverse effects it had started doing ( sounds this is where you are at right now ) . I use saline solutions & the saline gel with good results & no bad side effects . :up:.

3. somerandomdude

somerandomdude New Member

Turbinoplasty + Sinus wall repair (required breaking of sinus wall (skull bone) with hammer and chisel) + Deviated Septum Fix all at one time was tough. 4 hrs of surgery, 2 weeks with tubes down my nose to drain blood and yuck. Was very annoying but I could 'really' breath through my nose for the first time in my life. Pulling the tubes out was a religious experience.

4. Rodger

Rodger RamJet

removing the packing is 1/2 of why I won't get the surgery , other 1/2 is it grows back worse sometimes . A friend did that 3 times because it grew back worse each time . He does the saline solution instead of going thru the surgery again . :)

5. RFairbairn

RFairbairn Well-Known Member

6. healthhut

healthhut Expert #18

thanks rfairbairn but its not as much a allergy congestion problem as much as a restriction. i am off the otc nasal sprays and will never go through that again. i have been using a salien(sp) spray when i geet a cold but with out the zycam etc i am getting afternoon headaches.

7. J. WILLOW

J. WILLOW Well-Known Member

Had it done last winter, one of the most horrible experiences of my life. A 1 week lay up turned into a month off work and sitting around not doing anything physical for 2 months. 1 week after surgery started bleeding uncontrolably, blood was actually arching out of my nose(filled big Mickey D's cup on way to hospital), 1st ambulance ride back to the hospital, picked up a paramedic on the way to get an iv started so I could go back into the operating room right away. Following week started bleeding again, 2nd ambulance(medic said he never seen so much blood, I told him this time was nothing, you should have been with me the first time) ride back to hospital to get fixed up except, this time with no nity-night medicine. Splints and gals suck getting removed. After all that, for the next three weeks at my check ups, I was getting cottorized because I wasn't healing. I think my surgeon actually liked to make my eyes water, she told me I was worst case she had ever seen. Everytime I came in, she had a new med student in showing me off like some freak of nature. Although i can breath now, I don't know if it was all worth it, my blockage was in both nostrols probably in the 80-90% range. I'm not saying "don't do it" just get all the facts and side affects, don't let anyone b.s. you, this is no minor surgery.

8. Photo_Chick

Photo_Chick Leo's Wench!

Yeah, I was on my way back from Barber and we had to pull over about 5 times so I could bleed out. LOL. We pulled behind a gas station in Alabama somewhere and my sister in law got out with me and was handing me paper towels, my brother was sitting in the truck (my this time he was sick of looking at it). Nice police officer pulls up, looks at me, looks at my brother sitting in the truck and I'm thinking, someone is going to jail. After explaining the situation to him he was ready to call an ambulance for me and I was seriously considering it. Finally got it under control once again and finally got home...What a mess

9. Rem6a

Rem6a WCR Racer

So after the surgery, how bad does it hurt if you bump your nose? I have long metal rods in my right arm, and the right bump will put me to the floor.

After reading this I am really thinking about missing my surgery date. Just going to deal with the whistle nose when I do cardio.

10. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

Hurts like a bitch.

11. Booger Van der Jackass

Booger Van der Jackass Well-Known Member

I didn't have any pain after the removal of the packing, but to this day I'm jumpy about anybody getting close to my face. I smacked my girlfriends hand away a few times out of reflex.
    I hade to have some bore and burn work done to open my sinuses under my eyes and in my forehead too. The scariest thing was the doctor telling me that If I sneezed, I could very well bleed to death. Maybe that was hyperbole on his part, but no chances.

12. healthhut

healthhut Expert #18

I have a conseltation at 2 tommorrow so we will see what he says. Thanks for all the .02. i may just deal with it if its gonna be this bad.

13. Alexdouble-R

Alexdouble-R Well-Known Member

YOOOOOO It's been a while since I heard from you! how you been?

14. healthhut

healthhut Expert #18

i'm good how bout u?

15. GAMBLER

GAMBLER Neard supporter

is this the miracle surgery for people born with huge nose?

16. J. WILLOW

J. WILLOW Well-Known Member

this surgery is for people that are usually in the wrong place at the wrong time, or in my case- trying to read the fine print on a baseball bat at full swing.