1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delorme GPS Software Needed

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, Jul 31, 2002.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I've been given a Delorme GPS receiver, but with no software. Delorme has a new version of Street Atlas USA coming out on 15 August. However, I would like to use my GPS next week. I'd rather not buy the current software today, since the newer version is coming out soon.

If anyone out in BBS Land has a copy of Streets Atlas I could borrow for a few weeks, I would appreciate it very much. Thanks in advance.

2. James#306

James#306 Backmarker Extraordinaire

I an't got no stinkin' software but...

I wonder if civilian GPS is (I know military is) precise enough that you could get a GPS reciever to plot your way around a track, and then play it back to get lap times, split times, corner speeds, etc? I can think of all sorts of data that could be gotten from it.

3. YamahaRick

James, I can't recall the proper term for it, however, high dollar GPS units can interpolate readings from multiple GPS signals to increase their accuracy ... however, to make something applicable to a race bike would be unpracticle, as the sampling rates would be beyond the capacity of the typcial GPS.

You could probably accurately survey a track with one, but not for real time data collection.

However, there are some data collection devices that could work pretty well with multiple becons on the track. The software could then interpolate data based upon the mutiple split times of each lap. You would then apply that to a digital map of the race track to review data. That's been done for years at the GP level, for sure.

When Double A Ron The Enforcer is going down the back straight at 180+ MPH, that's over 260 feet per second. I now there is technology to do it, however, they are not available to us ... just for the use of smart bombs and similar apps. :)

4. James#306

James#306 Backmarker Extraordinaire

I donno...

A sample rate of 10 per second should be easily possible, and that would be more than good enough for this app.

Yeah, it would require some specalized hard/software, but it has the advantage in that you don't need any external beacons or having a map of the track built into a computer.

The only problem I see is that the civilian "band" GPS has a built in "fudge factor" to intentionally decrease its accuracy. So that the bad guys can't use our own GPS satilites against us. Military GPS is accurate down to +/-1 meter, while civilian is 10 or a hundred I can't remember.

5. ZebProctor

ZebProctor Well-Known Member

100, and it's not a "fudge factor" there are two seperate signals, one is highly encrypted and can only be recieved with a military gps, the other is the civilian signal and any $50 wal-mart gps can decode it....... also during times of war, where-ever the war is at i.e. vietnam, we can take that signal and skew it by as little as a meter, or as much as a hundred miles off.... we fluctuate this hourly so the enemy cannot compensate....

6. YamahaRick

Slick Willie disabled the so called scrambling a few years ago. The high dollar Garmin units are pretty slick. Even my lowly Rand McNally GPS add on for the Palm can pick up six signals at once; a good CPU behind that could really nail down your location; I'd say within a few feet or so.

7. ZebProctor

closer to 100 feet but oh well... and the reason it is that accurate is because a few years ago some european countries started talks about sending up thier own gps sats, and to discourage this we made the civilian a little more accurate....

8. hdrk2006

hdrk2006 Well-Known Member

Rick, I've got Street Atlas 6.0 that I used on my drive out to Laguna. It worked great even with my Garmin Street Pilot.

Let me know if you'd like to borrow.

9. jarcoco

jarcoco shimmy shimmy coco puff

that always cracks me up whenever i hear that. that's the stupidest nickname i've ever heard. who came up with that one? and what the hell is he enforcing? might as well call him ronnie double schnizzle nips or something.

10. timmy

timmy 00 GSXR-750

road race gps

they showed a POC event on speed the other day where a porsche team had had the gps setup on there car. it let them know what was happening exactly where on the course tied to there regular onboard stuff(rpm, gear, g's, yada yada) it was hot stuff

11. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

what he's talking about is either differential equiped GPS units ($$$) or the newer WAAS setup. With a WAAS equiped unit the accuracy is about 7 meters (30 feet). Sometimes better, sometimes worse...

http://www.gpsinformation.net/exe/waas.html

if you want to get realtime data, just get a Ham radio and some other stuff and connect the two..

www.findu.com

pretty neat stuff if you are into that. We used to have an APRS system in a friend truck. we could see where he was (realtime) any time of the day off his website.

12. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Geocaching

and for those who have a GPS unit and some spare time (like I know ALL of you have jobs that you slave over, right?)...

http://www.geocaching.com/

13. ZebProctor

call me a geek, but that actually looks like a lot of fun

14. YamahaRick

There was a wrestler (rassler, if you from around here) with that name. I'm not sure when he was around, but it might have been the late 70's/early 80's.

Ah, OK, just got off the phone with a friend of mine who steered me in the right direction:

"In May '86, Ole and Arn Anderson joined forces with Tully Blanchard, Ric Flair, and their manager J.J. Dillon. Dillon coined the name "the Four Horsemen". The group soon became the biggest heel group around, with massive feuds against Rhodes, Ole Anderson (when the others kicked him out in favor of Lex Luger, who was also later kicked out), and others. Throughout this period, Arn Anderson became the main attacker, and started to be called the Enforcer. "

http://www.accelerator3359.com/Wrestling/bios/aanderson.html

15. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

Yup, back when wrastlin' wuz real:rolleyes:

16. TrentThomas

TrentThomas .........

FWIW, I was just browsing through a Ben Meadows catalog, and they're advertising Garmin units in the $300 - $500 range that read 12 signals and are supposedly accurate to +/- 3 meters.

17. ZebProctor

ok, let's analyze this for a minute..... all a gps signal does is tell the reciever it's distance from the satalitte to the reciever, and since the sats are on a geo-synchronous orbit, thier postion is known for fact, so factor in the elevation of the reciever and with 3 signals you can have a location... now these guys advertising they can read up to 12 signals may be true, but it does not increase the accuracy one bit. it actually throws the reciever off a bit because now it has to average it's position between 12 sats instead of a pin-point by 3... the only advantage of 12 sats would be redundancy, say one sat hasn't been calibrated in a few weeks, you would theoretically get a more precise location.... but these sats are calibrated religiously, i promise you.... if i was a betting man I would bet that if you have a military gps and a civilian gps, side-by-side, you would be off by almost 25 meters... factor in both ways and that gives you a 50 meter accuracy....... think about it... do you think the gov't would be spending billions in technology between sending two signals and the money it takes to encrypt the military one, if they were not getting a lot more accuracy????

18. TrentThomas

TrentThomas .........

Sounds like you have more faith than me in the government's ability to expend resources in a logical, efficient, and fiscally responsible manner...

19. ZebProctor

I ought to have faith in them... i am them.....:D

20. TrentThomas

TrentThomas .........

Ahh... Now I see how you get away with spending so much time on motoboards all over the net :)