1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Define Religion

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by chameleon68, Feb 5, 2004.

1. chameleon68

chameleon68 Anti-whatever

How would you define "religion"? I'm curious, since I've seen many different definitions from philosophers, anthropologists and theologians, to see how different people define it from all different perspectives. It's interesting to note that, by someone's definition, you can almost tell what kind of religious background they have. By the way, there is no right or wrong answer, it's all a matter of what aspect of religion you're looking at.

2. riopko

riopko Slowest Expert Ever

Thats easy -- A crutch for the weak.

Can you really tell me affiliation from just that description??:D

3. chaplain

chaplain MRO pulpit jockey

anything!!

My answer would be anything or anybody a person totally devotes themselves to.

It could be anything from football to motorcycle racing, (wink!) to Pat Sajak and Vanna White.
    Whatever or whoever a person devotes his or herself too is that person's religion.

4. blueduc37

blueduc37 Well-Known Member

It may be helpful to define worship.

If you look at the King James and New International Versions, both pretty accurate but translated at different times in history (1600's vs 1900's), you will find: "...present yourselves as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your 'reasonable service (KJV) or spiritual worship (NIV)..."

I find it very interesting that two groups of scholars translated the same Greek to mean "reasonable service" and "spiritual worship". Greek has much depth in meaning that gets lost in translation i.e. it's not an error but a multifaceted meaning.

To me this says that our reasonable service IS our spiritual worship, and vice versa.

What does this mean? Find what you are made to do and that will be the primary way God wants you to worship.

Did he make you a teacher? A mother or father? A businessman? A singer? A racer? Then teach, parent, work, sing and ride for all you are worth, in obedience to him and you will find your place.
    The idolatry comes when we make teaching or singing or $ or racing our god.

5. atspeed

atspeed Praying Member

6. Laurie Acree

Laurie Acree Well-Known Member

I guess the term religion is to believe in something with a higher power. But, I like to get more specific so there is no question in what I believe. Therefore, I'm not religious. I'm a believer in Jesus Christ.
    :)

7. 600inline4

600inline4 Mentally unstable

religion

religion: something that you believe in, as the basis for all that exists.

for now, i believe i'll have another beer.............

you must be one with the Lager, Grasshopper.........

8. Laurie Acree

That reminds me of a joke...why do you take 2 Southern Baptists with you to go fishing?

If you take one he will drink all of your beer, if you take two, he won't drink any.

What is the difference between a Methodist and a Baptist? The Methodist will say hello to you in the liquor store....:D

Last edited: Feb 5, 2004
  9. chaplain

i like it

As an ordained Southern Baptist who is now United Methodist, I love the jokes Laurie!!!!.............More truth there than some want to admit...I also like your answer above. Christian faith in its ultimate expression is about relationship..not ritual nor church affiliation...but a relationship with Christ.:clap:

10. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Re: i like it

You took the words outta my mouth, Tim. That's what it means to me. :cool:

11. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Religion in it's purest form should be a way of life....whatever you believe in.

12. chameleon68

chameleon68 Anti-whatever

I knew this would be an interesting question :)
    Now let's take it a step further...
    How would you define religion UNIVERSALLY? In other words, a universal definition of the word that fits more than just Christianity. But, please feel free to say what religion is to you.
    Riopko, can you see what I mean by telling what religious background people have (or have not) had?

13. cinderella

cinderella Guest

Religion is a faith that there is a reason and a purpose to our lives and the way we live them, despite all seeming evidence to the contrary.

=c., drinking coffee, leaving for tally

14. chaplain

gotta get the cogs to turn

Lemme think about this one before I answer.......

15. chaplain

Re: gotta get the cogs to turn

Okay, I'm ready to take a shot at this.....

Religion is a human phenomenon, prompted by the need humans feel to discover meaning and purpose in life.

Religion can take many forms. It is seen in organizations, political movements, and philosophical statements wherein man tries to decipher his/her reason for being.

16. blueduc37

As in: "Religion is the opiate of the masses" ??

Yes, we can tell.

17. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Why are Baptist against pre-marital sex?

Because it could lead to dancing...

18. blueduc37

Why wont baptists have sex standing up? They don't want anyone to think they're dancing.

19. Laurie Acree

:D I'll have to add those to my list.

I grew up in a Southern Baptist church then joined the Methodist because that is the church my husband grew up in. We are back in a Southern Baptist Church and I guess I can sum it up to say there are hypocrites in every crowd but the Baptist are more fun to pick on.

:D

20. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

The difference between Jews, Protestants and Baptist.

Jews don't recognize Christ as the Son of God.

Protestants don't recognize the Pope as the voice of God.

Baptists don't recognize each other in liquor stores.

And, IMNSHO, religion is a personal belief system that requires no proofs.

I've seen people who were more religious about their brand of oil than the reason for their existence.

I personally believe in God Almighty and his Son, my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I require no proof of their existance for if I had proof, then it would not be a belief.