1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deck building

Discussion in 'General' started by speedluvn, Aug 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Some try to do it with the concrete tubes and torpedo heaters, others will use electric heat blankets, but Trex makes an oven just for this purpose.

TurboBlew likes this.
  2. eggfooyoung

Theres also a company up near Cleveland that you can send them dimensions, and they'll ship you the pieces. Tho that didn't work for me...

TurboBlew and Phl218 like this.
  3. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

There are heaters that are made for heating up long sections to make it pliable so you can bend it. I didn't have access to one so we used heat guns, ratchet straps and brute force & ignorance. With 3 of us, I would heat up a section as best we could, one guy was pulling the long end and ratcheting the straps and another guy would install the disappearing screws to secure it. It was not easy, but it worked. Heating blankets that electricians use to heat up conduit could probably also work.

TurboBlew likes this.
  4. eggfooyoung

I originally ordered these pieces from the company in Cleveland. He asked what my inside radii were, and coming from a woodworking background where we spacialized in radii, I gave him 45-3/16" for instance. I received 48" ISR. The guy just couldn't understand why it needed to be so precise. Then I explained that putting torque on your posts was a bad thing.

So I took his pieces, post formed a jig, heated the material, loaded it in the jig, got it set and poured water on it. Worked great. 15648482758080.jpg 15648482758981.jpg 15648482759092.jpg

G2G, BigBird, KneeDragger_c69 and 8 others like this.
  5. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Heating blankets? Times have changed, back in my full time electrician days we used a device called a 'hotbox', it was about 2-1/2' long, maybe 6"x6" metal box with a hole at each end. Once it was up to temp, you flip open the top lid, lay the pvc in for a few seconds, then walla you bend as needed.....worked wonders.

As far as decking options go, my sister had a deck installed what has to be going on 10 yrs now, a friend of the family did the work and he suggested she go with a mahogany [or cumaru, not sure] deck board since he knew she wasn't gonna keep up with maintenance too well. I've never seen a deck board stay flat, true and look so damn good to this day. I always said if I ever go with a wooden deck I'm gonna go with that decking option....I THINK it only requires oiling every other yr or something, I'm telling ya, def check it out.

6. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Looks good.

8. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

IPE is very similar and a little cheaper than cumaru. They both hold up very well with little maintenance.

XFBO likes this.
  9. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I built mine a couple years ago. I used premium grade pressure treated for the joists and posts, VEKAdeck for the decking and handrails, and I also wrapped the posts with vinyl “caps”.

Very pretty deck, maintenance free, and rock solid.

Phl218 likes this.
  10. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Mahogany is very soft,so likely cumaru. IPE is a great option as well and as mentioned......and holds up to extreme weather and abuse. The Nats are still using the dugout benches I made years ago, and those things get serious abuse.

BigBird and XFBO like this.
  11. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

You know, after looking at images of that IPE, it may very well be that stuff. If they're known to stay flat/true/no warping it likely is.

12. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

What's the benefit of going with IPE or Cumaru vs Trex? Looks like the cost is about the same between the two of them.

13. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

My buddy just built his dock using IPE wood. It's beautiful, but needs pressure cleaning and oiling every 6 months to keep looking like new.

I know the trex boards get hot, but if you stain wood with semi transparent stain, it gets hot as hell too. My dock is pressure treated wood, and I pressure clean and stain the whole thing every year. Despite that, I still find the occasional rotten board every 3 months or so. Whoever built it didn't bother putting tar paper tape on top of the joists so they are mostly rotten on top. Swapping to trex boards also requires adding extra stringers as the trex board needs less than 16" centers between stringers.

14. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Some ppl just prefer the look and feel of natural wood. Most decks I've seen with pine split, warp, twist, etc.... the stuff they used on my sisters place didn't ever do that.

Phl218 likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Only thing I notice with our plastic decking is they get soft when hot, can be a little disconcerting.

16. Phl218

Phl218 .

that's why i put our joists at 12" and not 16" ;)

XFBO, TurboBlew and speedluvn like this.
  17. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

I redid mine w/ Trex. Yes, it does get hot. But that outweighs the bullshit of having to maintain a wood deck.

speedluvn and Phl218 like this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, the guy who built the house wasn't really a think ahead type :D

Right now I'm having fun extending the joists because the end board warped and is pulling away from them.

And before you guys all give me shit - no I do NOT want to do it right :crackup: What I really want is a new deck with a roof but that is a number of spots down the list of things we don't have money for.

19. eggfooyoung

Can't believe you think we would do that...

R Acree and Phl218 like this.
  20. Phl218

Phl218 .

i built my deck to add a pergola (which it has now) then to add a roof to that and then walls and then floor and then oh wait, i have another room.... ;)