1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Debt Free College

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Coopster, May 1, 2015.

1. Coopster

Coopster Well-Known Member

2. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

The problem with free school is if it costs nothing the value eventually goes down to nothing. I can not understand the mentality behind thinking your kids need to go to adult kindergarten for 4 years after highschool. And now they want it to be free. If they are taking something of substance then fine but the whole humanities, general studies, etc. thing to "find themselves" is a bunch of crap.

3. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

College is what you make of it. Most people will never get real value out of their college education. The push to send everyone to college is just plain retarded. Not everyone is cut out for college or needs to go. Germany has a much better system, the cream go on a college path at 16 and the rest go to trade school. WTF is wrong with becoming a welder or CNC machinist? Often times a skilled trade is going to make you more money than some piece of shit bachelor's degree. We have people coming out with 4 year degrees and working for 10 bucks an hour. There are $ 50/hr and $ 100/hr jobs in industry that have been below full staffing for decades because companies can't find qualified workers.

The push for universal college is pure elitism and stupidity. If you have an IQ of 105 the only thing college will do for you is create a shit load of debt for you and keep you from a career where you can maximize your earnings.

4. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

First, Germany has a mere 25% of our population. Their manufacturing jobs pay premium, in fact some would say inflated, wages because of their labor laws and the fact they don't outsource nearly as much as a result.

Getting ones hands dirty isn't cool and we have demonized the trades instead of respecting them.

We have kids coming out of college with liberal studies, art, language, etc degrees..unless you're a helluva salesman, that qualifies you for....pretty much nothing. You will however, be a very well rounded fast food worker or barista at Starclucks but you will still have to be trained on what goes on the Whopper or how to draw a leaf in my foam.

5. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

You forgot ideal government employee.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Check on how your local libraries are doing these days... there's your "free" school.

7. brex

brex Well-Known Member

One way the trades are demonized is saying "the cream" go to college and "the rest" go to trade school.
    It would be far more appropriate to change those to "the douchebags" and "the intelligent", respectively.

8. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Awesome! More free stuff! If the democrats can exercise their economic magic and make my electricity free, they've got my vote. It's an investment in the future! It's for the kids! It will make our cities safer! If you don't pay my power bill, you're a racist!

9. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

The communist pigs that rule most university liberal arts are aware that the public is beginning to question their value. Rather than provide more value they are going to confiscate their riches. In return the deomncats get more leftist indoctrinated drones to keep them in power and rich. Perfect symbiosis.

10. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

it's not "free" if we're all paying for it.

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I suggest a Job Corps-like program for "educators" in which they have to volunteer teach for four years completely at their own expense.
    There you go, free college, provided directly by the people who want it without taking a detour through my wallet.

12. ianjoub

ianjoub Well-Known Member

Yes, have the government pay for college with the money they steal from us. That is likely to raise the standards and lower the cost :rolleyes:

13. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I probably should have said "academic talent" to avoid this argument. Let's agree to define it as that. Book smart people who enjoy academics should go to college, people who hate school or have no affinity for academics should develop other skills.

I studied finance. I met plenty of people who struggled with the math and eventually dropped out or changed majors because they realized they were non-hackers in that subject. That doesn't mean they were incapable of earning a lot of money or more money than me, just that they were on the wrong path. Somewhere along the line someone told them they'd make a lot of money by studying finance. Then they listened to that advice without an objective assessment of their particular talents and interests.

Some guys are great salesmen but dumb as rocks otherwise, some people are brilliant at academics and couldn't sell to save their lives. It takes all types.

Young people should be pushed to develop their talents to the maximum extent possible, whether that's becoming the mechanical engineer who designs turbine engines, the guy who welds them, or the guy who cajoles companies into buying them at $ 10 million a pop.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  14. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Directly and indirectly.

Too many "real" world jobs today are dependent on government grants. Community this and community that. All sponsored by you and I.

15. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

There's no dignity with the perception of skilled trades anymore. They're dirty, require long hours, strenuous, dangerous, and require accountability. Six-figure salaries, job security, and professional pride... all struggle with competing with societies perception.

I've been teaching industrial maintenance, safety, manufacturing, etc. for a couple of years now at a community college. There's simply no respect for learning a trade anymore.

Quite honestly, while certainly there are many who share your view, I'm not certain if I still believe that to be the case. As there's been a number of changes in the market place over the past few years which have made the specifics of the degree less important, IMHO.

Outside of technical and really specialized areas, many businesses are less concerned with the specifics of a degree versus that the candidate have a degree.

Many large companies have now basically done away with specific degree requirements for many entry level (non-executive track or technical) management training programs, as they view the 'diversity' of degrees to be an added value.

A number of graduate school options exists, with little concern over the specifics of one's undergraduate degree.

Even many professional boards and associations, are less concerned with the specifics of a degree, they simply require a degree as part of their prerequisites for board certification or licensing.

That's not even taking into account the large number of job postings, which simply require a degree (any degree) for eligibility.

16. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

PMI PMP comes to mind as the perfect example. You don't need to be fluent in statistical analysis nor calculate an IRR to become a good project manager.

Edit: and a good Project Manager earns $150k whether high-speed digital or building a bridge. Aerospace and IT somewhat less, but not a lot less.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  17. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Mid level management is a dying breed.....STEM degrees are where the money and opportunity exist.

18. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

I agree wholeheartedly, although I'm frequently amused at the expanding views of what constitutes STEM degrees. Regardless that unfortunately, puts us back into the position of requiring the masses to earn degrees. Personally, I'm just seeing a bachelors degree as the modern day high school diploma. Something everyone needs to earn before being properly trained in a specialty via graduate school, apprenticeship, professional licensing board, etc.

19. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member