1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead Battery

Discussion in 'Tech' started by bjs8579, Jun 21, 2009.

1. bjs8579

bjs8579 Well-Known Member

I raced my R6 at Talladega last weekend with no problems. I took it off of the battery tender before I left and it ran fine the whole weekend. I go into the garage today to start the bike, I flip the switch, and i get nothing. No dash lights, no electronics starting, nothing. I used the multimeter and it read 1.63 volts across the terminals, so it's completely dead and the battery tender won't even try to charge it. Anyway, I'm going to replace it this week, but I was curious if something else might have caused this or if it could damage the ecu or power commander in anyway. It rained a lot on the way back from Tally, and I had the bike in the back of the truck, but I'm not sure if any water could have gotten to some exposed wires or the terminals somehow. Anyone else had a battery die this quickly and this completely? Any other problems come from it?

2. forlorn

forlorn Well-Known Member

A cell in the battery could have died, other than that a short.

3. bjs8579

bjs8579 Well-Known Member

I put a new battery in today, and as soon as I connected the terminals, the dash powered on and the electronics turned on, but the switch was set to the off position. I messed with the switch a little bit and started the bike. It ran fine, but died a little bit afterwards, which happens I think because the idle is set around 4k rpms. I started it again, it took about two or three tries, but it came on, ran for a few minutes and died again. I tried to start it again and eventually everything went dead, no dash lights or anything. I put it on the battery tender to try and charge it up again, because I think I drained the battery. Anyway, now when the switch is in the off position, everything is off like it should be. After it charges back up, I'll try and start it again. I'm getting 14v across the terminals so that part is good, but I'm guessing that it doesn't have any amps to crank the starter over. I believe there was a short in the system that drained my original battery, but I think starting the bike somehow cleared the short. Any ideas?

4. forlorn

forlorn Well-Known Member

Your old battery died because of a short. You are going to need to pull off all the body work and inspect the harness for damage i.e. melted wires, frays, bad connections. Also use a multimeter on the harness and the things that connect to it to find the short, i know that is eaiser said than done, their are walk throughs that can be found via google. Shorts do not fix themselves, you really are going to want to find the bad wire or componet, sounds like a wire is shorting to ground some where.

What year R6?