1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytona 200 is on now

Discussion in 'General' started by backcountryme, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Bs, they are hoisted up there for the starts.

MELK-MAN and noles19 like this.
  2. That’s not accurate.

Oil or standard grease simply are not that effective as friction coefficient reducers. The torque values will not change much, if any at all.

Sure, if you accidentally drop a can of Molycoat on the threads, and they get coated, then you’ll need to alter the torque values for the proper coefficient.

But again, in the amount of torque we are talking about, you are way overthinking it (and sounds like you are trying to justify not using a torque wrench or proper torque values).

If you were torquing an 18-3/4” 15ksi flange with 3.5” studs and a torque value of over 10,000ft/lbs, then changing (or adding lubricant) will affect the torque values greatly.

But we are talking about shit that ranges from 10-100ft/lbs. A little grease or oil won’t change things enough to matter.

3. Mine can. :D

noles19 likes this.
  4. BigBird

BigBird blah

I know that my 2012 Ninja 650 manual states that hand tighten is not enough. They give the torque value that the oil filter needs to be at.

Sent from my bumpy train using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    Gorilla George likes this.
  5. I’ll strongly disagree with you on this, even an m6 bolt is upwards of 20% different (depending on the bolt material/type , material is being fastened to, rpm’s, etc). There’s a reason they make and sell a metric shit ton of ARP ultra torque. There are many many factors also in play like condition of mating surfaces, pre exposure to and sort of chemicals or debris, etc. There’s a really good study done by Ingersoll Rand I’ll need to find. We torque down thousands upon thousands of fasteners daily on safety items, trust me there is a difference.

6. :stupid: Most things where work I torque are 900inlbs max and mostly it’s below 100inlbs. We take a running torque value on fasteners that have a locking patch and we use a lubricant on every one. If you don’t lubricate the threads your running torque value that’s applied to your final torque value your RT is through the roof on some fasteners. Sometimes upwards of double your final torque value, a value of 200%+ of what the fastener is able to handle. I would actually say that it has more of an impact on smaller torque values than larger.

83BSA and badmoon692008 like this.
  7. Tas

Tas Well-Known Member

Well this old country redneck hand tightens his oil filters so much that I need an oil filter wrench to get the damn thing off. Even then it’s a struggle. Mine seem to tighten up on me during useage. My torque value is, who the hell knows but it stays on.

And this also goes for all of the cars and trucks I’ve owned.

badmoon692008, G 97 and TLR67 like this.
  8. I hand tighten my oil filters as well but if I’m torquing down a cylinder head I’m using ultra torque.

9. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Maybe with me on it ..

:D

Gorilla George likes this.
  10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I hand tighten then do 1/4 turn with a OIL FILTER WRENCH... Fram Only here....(Or EMGO) for bikes if I can find them> No Failures on Boats, Cars, Trucks or bikes in 35 Years..

11. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Same here on every midget or sprint car engine I have ever worked on. Never had one come off.

12. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

if ya'll can't hand tighten an oil filter to 13ft lb.. ya need to step up that wankin game or get to the gym ;)
    the oem yam filters come with grease on the o-ring. after cleaning the engine surface, i spread a little remaining oil on the engine surface.. cranking down by hand really well, you can feel the filter body seating as the o-ring flattens out. i'm sure that 1/4 turn with a wrench would not harm anything for those wanting to be extra sure it's on there..

legit question.. is there a difference in using the smaller 1/4 inch drive torque wrenches for small bolts (like small thread 10mm heads) vs. larger 3/8" drive? i try not to use the bigger wrench for small stuff, but a friend with a $700 snap on digital vibrating one says his 3/8" is good for anything.. i find that tough to believe..

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    TLR67 likes this.
  13. BigBird

BigBird blah

I don't know...I have a habit of breaking bolts, but when the oil filter on the Kawi is hand tightened, i used a torque wrench and tightened it to spec, it was quite a few more turns it made.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  14. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

I had fun. Had 2 or 3 laps of practice then ran that single GTL race. Never been there before and never been out on the track since. I was there helping Farrell for the 200 that year. There is definitely more time to be found. I let Stuffelbeam by into the Chicane on the last lap, got on his ass and drafted him across the line for 4th. You, Mavros and Evry checked out.

http://www.motolaptimes.com/2016/DIS 0316/GTL.htm

MELK-MAN likes this.
  15. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Depends on the range of the torque wrench... If you're trying to get to 50 in-lbs and you have a 1/4 drive that goes from 10-100 in-lbs and a 3/8 that goes from 50-500 in-lbs then the 1/4 is going to be much more accurate... but assuming they have the same range the drive size should make no difference all other things being equal. All torque wrenches are further off at the ends of their range. I actually inherited an old snap on 3/8 drive wrench that goes from 30-200 in-lbs so they do make them.

MELK-MAN and Boman Forklift like this.
  16. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Daytona is a fun track, and I count it as one of my favorites. I raced LW bikes my whole career up until the last 4 years or so. So I feel qualified to say that Daytona is one track where LW and MW are a different world. Unlimiteds are a different universe. I did the LWF40 race in October there, and after riding the 600, LW feels like a game.

I rode a 1098R there in practice one day, it's unbelievable the stones it takes to hold that thing wide open from the chicane to the brake marker at T1. I can't imagine a ZX-10 like Stefano rides! The first few laps, it felt like when they are making the jump to light speed in the Millenium Falcon. Your brain and vision literally can't keep up. The banking, even with the repave, gets bumpy and when you come off NASCAR 4 and try and run the bike down from the top of the banking, there is alot of force pushing you back up towards the wall. I bet Stefano and the other big bike riders are spinning the rear through there, at 180 MPH. :bow: It's flat out scary (pun intended.)

As far as the depth of talent, maybe it isn't what it was in the 80's or 90's, but is any race in the US today as deep as it was in the "old days"?

I have no input on the torque wrench situation, other than the fact that my brother (who never torques anything) stole mine, and I ordered a new (wrong) one, which is 1/4" drive and only goes to like 28 Ft/lb...... So maybe I can use it on oil filters and pinch bolts, but not much else.

MELK-MAN, BigBird, G 97 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

What is ultra torque. I did google it and came up with all kinds of Campagnolo bicycle stuff and RC car servo's.

EDIT...after more searching it appears to be assembly lube.

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

@MELK-MAN I know you race a lot of club races at Daytona and you are fast there. Based on the results, it seems you would be in the top 10 is there a reason you don't run the 200?

badmoon692008 likes this.
  19. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

Ingersoll Rand are the Broome of repair men. At my old job I once had to schedule them to perform a commercial boiler repair and you’d of thought I was scheduling a surgeon to perform surgery on the President’s child.

20. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Noted and understood... I don't plan on leaving the LW world
    I asked the same question to someone at Daytona last weekend and was told his bikes are too superbikey

MELK-MAN and Boman Forklift like this.