1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Data Aquisition - sensor install

Discussion in 'Tech' started by piper907, Jan 11, 2011.

1. piper907

piper907 Well-Known Member

Anyone care to share photos of brake pressure sensor setups?
    I am at a loss for sourcing a clean solution to adapting a 1/8"NPT(male) sensor into my front brake lines so I am about to begin fabricating my own adapter... I would love to have some help with the brainstorming process.

also going to be installing front and rear suspension pots... So any photos or links/ideas would be cool there as well.

2008 GSXR 750

THX.:up:

2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Call Fittings, Inc, and ask for inside sales. Their sales guys know pretty much everything about fittings, including the crazy metric stuff. I can't remember the guy that helped me with my Venture air fittings, but he was sharp. I'll poke around and see what I can find online if you get me the thread pitch for the banjo bolts.

3. metalkid88

metalkid88 Well-Known Member

I'll try taking a pic tonight

4. piper907

I am currently thinking of fabricating a block with 1/8 NPT connections on the top, bottom, right side, and front. I have already sourced an3 to 1/8 npt fittings and speigler makes custom lines an3 to banjo. I have see a few different ways to do this though and haven't really decided on the pros and cons of any of them.

space is definately limited as I am running a OEM mounting style damper and forklift style front stand leaves me minimum space to work without interfearing with other components.

5. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Corson if you do so make several, as I've wanted that for a very long time.

6. Brian Driver

Brian Driver Well-Known Member

Why dont you just make your own brake lines? I made all of mine from local speed shop parts. Also was way cheaper. I made all 3 for less than 60.00.

7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I ordere a short braided line with a banjo on one end and a female AN on the other, a male AN to female 1/4' NPT adpater and use a double banjo bolt at the master cylinder as I had a single line at the master cylinder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VC-jPljBDU

The line is long enough to mount the sensor in a round clamp where the stock brake line distribution block bolted to the triple clamp.

8. piper907

Thanks Venom, that is definately an option since I am also only running one line off the master currently.

9. O.Kho

O.Kho Well-Known Member

Possibly this?
    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...NPT-to-12-mm-banjo-bolt?itemIdentifier=373289
    I'm not sure what size the banjo is on the MC, 12mm seems large?
    I'd like to do a set up like this for my rear, but I think bleeding will be a bit more of a challenge, any thoughts?

Also, I did see a banjo to 1/8" NPT female adapter on a bike with brake pressure sensors, but I couldn't dig up any more info online. Not the bolt like my link above, but the actual banjo... I'll keep poking around.

subscribing....

10. piper907

Well... After WAY too much thought I am going to go with Venoms idea.
    There just isn't enough room to (cleanly) mount a fluid block to the lower tripple with an OEM mount damper and still be able to use a forklift style front stand.

I ordered a set of custom 1 into 2 lines from Speigler and will be running a double banjo off the master cylinder. Speigler has female AN3 fittings that aren't listed on their website and i am using an aluminum male AN3 to female 1/8npt adapter from Jegs autoparts. If I measured correctly, I should be able to zip-ty the pressure sensor along the lower tripple.

FYI... custom lines aren't cheap!!!!... 250$ for the lines i ordered :(

11. O.Kho

O.Kho Well-Known Member

I just ordered two pressure sensors with 1/8 NPT Male threads.
    I'm making custom banjo bolts to screw these sensors directly into.
    I'll post pics when they're done... hopefully I'll have time this weekend to machine them up.

12. O.Kho

O.Kho Well-Known Member

PICS!
    This is the front sensor.. rear is still forthcoming.
    1/8" NPT sensor screws into the back of the banjo bolt. The bolt I made from 14mm 316 stainless steel hex stock. Threads on the Brembo master are 10mm x 1.0, my stock Suzuki master has 10mm x 1.25 threads.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. piper907

this is what i ended up doing for brake and oil pressure.

brake lines are custom from Speigler with an AN3-1/8NPT adapter from Jegs automotive. works well to hang the sensor vertical when bleeding.
    stock oil pressure switch is 1/8BSP so I purchased a "gauge adapter" from pegasus auto racing to convert to NPT.:up:

Attached Files:

14. Venom51

You are going to want to put that oil pressure sensor on a short hose as well to keep the engine vibrations from killing it. Ask me how I know.

15. piper907

Good info (again)... thanks venom, much appreciated :up:

16. Venom51

No problem...just trying to save you some bucks replacing sensors.