1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damn, Biaggi tossed some live fireworks inside the Ducati office floor!

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jul 19, 2022.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope, not remotely cheating. They got the rules written the way they wanted and they did everything they could to keep them there. Not even remotely close to cheating. Sandbagging all but Bayliss to not stand out sure, but that's not illegal in any rulebook I've read.

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Eh, just proves everything I always thought about Ducati racing superbikes.

Pixelator, 418 and cha0s#242 like this.
  3. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Racing rules are all written on rubber, you are allowed to stretch them right up to the breaking point.

Pixelator and tophyr like this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They always try to work the rulebook to their advantage rather than try to work in gray areas or the like. Not a bad way to do it really.

5. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Slight correction, Bayliss stepped BACK up to MotoGP to get his wildcard win, his only MotoGP win. After washing out of 4 full seasons in the top class. The wildcard win is a great story/accomplishment. But, I'm thinking Biaggi having more wins, and never finishing below 5th in the 500/MotoGP championship over 8 years says he's got some world class talent. Not to mention the 4 250GP World Championships.

Boman Forklift, RichB and bpro like this.
  6. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

And we'd be foolish to think that every manufacturer doesn't try this in some way, shape or form. Remember when Sykes was using split throttles/TC in WSBK before it was banned? You could say they were cheating, but unless it's explicitly outlawed - it's legal. And look, 18hp is no small joke on bikes with (back then) 180-190hp. But I think speed traps show that even in 2008 the Ducati was FAR from the fastest machine AND was carrying more weight than the 4cyl bikes.

I remember when Aprilia retrofitted a gear driven camshaft arrangement for their WSBK machine which gave them more power and increased their already blistering top speed. I think it lasted a few races until enough complaining made Dorna say 'ok, no more' despite it technically being legal.

stk0308 likes this.
  7. stk0308

They wandered awfully close to race fixing....if Max is fully correct. Similar to certain team orders, like for one rider to pull over to let another finish ahead of them, when clearly the one getting pulled over has the pace to stay ahead. They're just doing it from engine limits that don't need to be there.

Pixelator likes this.
  8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dude, Aprilia used to pick who was going to be 250 champion, Michelin did it is wsbk and to an extent in motogp. “Nudging” the championship in one direction or the other had been going on for decades, ain’t new when Max rode the Ducati and wasn’t when he rode the aprilia in 250s.

and the other thing that ain’t knew is someone saying Max could be difficult. :crackup: remember when he sunk his Yamaha gp contract over a piano? :crackup:

9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

What about AMA Pro racing here? Or CSBK too?

stk0308 likes this.
  10. stk0308

What is it the kids say now? "Just because we've always done it this way, doesn't make it right."

11. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

1968, Yamaha decided that Bill Ivy would be 250 World Champion and Phil Read would be 125 World Champion...only Read didn't see it that way.

stk0308 likes this.
  12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

So what's Biaggi on about, that Ducati didn't like him? :confused:

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

They liked Troy more.

stk0308 likes this.
  14. stk0308

They took away the really fast toy to play with. He feels they didn't give him the full chance to fight for a championship. You know, his job. That's what I see in his comments. Now, none of this would have come to light if some Italians hadn't started tossing handbags at each other in the press, and getting butthurt. Thank doG for the Italian ego, lol

Motofun352 likes this.
  15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Good old Biaggi, always up for a purse fight!

Pixelator, cha0s#242 and stk0308 like this.
  16. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Here you go Max:

Fauxdium.jpg

YamahaRick likes this.
  17. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Does that mean Bayliss had an Italian crank ?

18. G 97

G 97 Garth

Mama Mia, that’s ah one spicy meatball.
    Too bad - so sad, Max. The reality is Ducati won the championship with Bayless, basically they didn’t need you. How anyone can honestly believe it’s a fraudulent championship is ridiculous. Nothing fraudulent or remotely illegal about it. Unethical? Possibly.

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Other than me using the word "fraud," where are you guys getting that Biaggi said there was something fraudulent going on? I used the word on purpose to fire things up. But I think he was only speaking to the fairness of the policy. He didn't seem to be alleging that anything was done outside the regulations.

20. G 97

G 97 Garth

I wasn’t specifically singling Max out or assigning him any statement other than him being somewhat of a crybaby. Just making a broad comment to anyone who may believe the championship is fraudulent, is whack. :Putter: