1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dakar 2019

Discussion in 'General' started by duggram, Jan 1, 2019.

1. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Go USA! I know Brabec and Shorty did a LOT of training with Jimmy Lewis this year, mainly focusing on navigation. This years course has lots of dunes and navigation, so that bodes well for both of them. could be two americans in the top 5 this year????? :)

2. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

FYI motortrend on demand has Dakar coverage.

3. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, looks like Brabec is out!?!?!?! Damn Honda gave up the ghost.

4. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Another Honda "electrical" issue . . . .

Gutted. RB was riding hard, fast and smart, and had been and was leading a group of first class ralliers: Toby Price, Pablo Quintinella, Adrien Van Breveran, Soultrait, etc. Goes to show ya can't count your chickens early . . . . Some of the film footage of him in the dunes at speed is incredible stuff.

Hopefully Andrew Short can finish in the top 10.

Cheers,

Dave

stk0308 and CRA_Fizzer like this.
  5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Dangit!

6. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Bummer. Go Andrew Short!

7. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

NOOOOOOOOOOooooooooo!!!!!!!

go Shorty!!!

8. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Over on ADV rider the impression I get is Robbie found a possible loophole in the rules running a SCORE legal SxS in the car class. After getting it all built, set up, and at the event, he was then slapped with a speed limit (!?!?!) of 80mph, or some such. For the entire event. I don't doubt the Frenchies have a bias for their own, but Robbie also seems to make his own luck.

9. 2blueYam

If they had told him up front when he first asked that would have been fine, but he asked back in October and was told no speed limit. Then in December they slapped the speed limit on him.

I believe that the Textrons can't run in the SxS class at the Dakar, as they are too large for sanctioning body's SxS class. The track too is wide or wheelbase a bit long.

10. 2blueYam

Short is up to 4th with some of the top runners having a bad day today and Van Beveren's motor going boom.
    Currie is up to 4th in the SxS category as well.

Both are well back of 3rd, but if attrition continues, we could yet get an American podium out of this Dakar. The top three bikes are close on time, so they will have to push if they want to win. Push and you can break your bike, get lost, crash or get injured. Yes, crashing and getting injured are two different things particularly on the bikes. Plenty of "crashes" without hurting anything. Some hard landings where riders get hurt. This event is tough.