1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"dab of silicone"

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Carsten Rueppel, Dec 22, 2015.

1. When the rulebook says "a dab of silicone" on each galley bolt, what does that really mean?
    A "dot" on one side of the bolt and the engine case? Or silicone on and around the entire bolt?
    Or remove the bolt and put silicone on the threat?
    This is concerning safety wiring a track/race bike.
    Thanks!

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

you can use it as a temporary measure if you miss something & tech discovers it.
    The dab is supposed to keep the fastener from rotating. Not as good as safety wire.

An example... 2006 Vintage GSXRs have a slipper adjuster port on the stock clutch cover.
    [​IMG]

you can place a dab of silicone to keep the piece from rotating. Ideally its better to safety wire it.

3. Thank you TurboBlew.
    Some more context: I am about to do a race, vintage class with a 2001 Ducati 996. Tech guy said "make sure any coolant hoses are wired and any bolts that you can visually see have a dab of silicone on them".
    So do I cover the bolts in silicone or just a "dot" - almost how I would mark a bolt and it's rotational position relatively to the case?
    I understand safety wire is better but some bolts are not easy to reach without tearing that bike apart.
    Thank you.

4. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

More than a dot, kind of a bigger blob. Do not take off the bolt or galley plug (check it before your silicone the part). Bolts should really be wired, but galley plugs are siliconed by most people. Often the plugs can be thin, so silicone may actually be a better solution. Also, those plugs are almost never removed.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Essentially it looks like a paint mark on one face of the bolt/nut but is the size of a pea or so, needs to be touching the bolt/nut and the engine part it goes through.

6. Perfect, great description, thank you!

JBall likes this.