1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cycle lifts?

Discussion in 'General' started by acorn27, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Pepsi Drinker

Pepsi Drinker Well-Known Member

This would be a way better deal, drop out and all.

2. Pepsi Drinker

I have a 25+ year old Handy with never an issue. But at that $595 listed earlier I would buy a new one with the rear drop out in a heart beat.

3. flyingpig70

flyingpig70 Well-Known Member

Yeah, a rear dropout would be cool.

4. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Heresey I know, but will the Handy fit a FL series Harley? For that small of a difference in price I would rather support a beeb member.

5. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Rear drop out plate on my Handy lift but I never use it. I have had my lift about 3 years. I use it a lot. No issues except the foot pedal blew apart on the first use. It was replaced that same week from where I bought the lift. It cost way to much IMO but I doubt I will ever wear it out.

This bike stays on it about 90% of the time:)
    [​IMG]

6. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I use the rear drop out plate all the time, changing rear tires on cruisers. Would be a bitch without it.

7. Pepsi Drinker

This and it has the rear drop out, bonus. I'll gladly pay (double) from the on sale cheapo to get serious quality and the drop out.
    I seem to think I paid over $500 25+ years ago and no drop out.

8. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Harbor Freight supplied chock is nearly useless. But with a sport bike would you really need it since you have a sturdy rear stand?

On cruiser with no center stand is when you would need a good chock.

So let's see some pictures of your HF lifts with other chocks.

9. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

I have two of the HF lifts in my shop. I paid 4249 with free shipping on one, and $299 and picked up the other one.

They replaced a $eriously expen$ive Grazia lift that I never liked.

I once refused a job in a very nice motorcycle shop because they insisted on using Handy lifts. I don't like a smooth-top lift, because one drop of oil and you're trying to fight a slipping motorcycle and ruin your back for 25 years. Ask me how I know.

10. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

You refused a job that required the use of a high end top quality tool??

I personally wouldn't hire a mechanic that entrusted customer bikes on Harbor Freight garbage.

11. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

[​IMG] I wouldn't trust a shop with a Handy lift either, but either one would be fine in my garage.

12. Robby-Bobby

Been open since 1981.

Had anywhere from 4-6 handy lifts depending on how many mechanics.

Not. One. Single. Failure.

We also strap bikes down but only replaced 1 front wheel clamp and rebuilt the hydraulic cylinder seal on one.

If a new tech showed up wanting to be a mechanic and brought a harbor freight lift I would not allow it in the shop.

I'm an ass-hole but I value customer bikes and I damn sure ain't gonna be happy if we have to replace a Ducati tank cause someone wanted to use a piece if shit lift.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah I'm not getting the whole Handy slippery thing. I've rolled bikes on and off plenty of them and never an issue - if the lift or floor is oily then you clean that shit up. Also don't see the diamond plate being any less slippery.

14. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.

15. Robby-Bobby

Yea it doesn't make sense at all... Hell, oil is slippery on even sand!! Lol

Bench gets wiped down before bike goes on lift, and before its removed from lift so you don't wheel through any oil...

16. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

Get a Handy.

Be good to yourself.

17. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

I don't know if it's better than anything else but I've had my HF for 6 years with no issues. I put my WR, Buell, Sportster, FJR and Grizzly 4wheeler on it. And if the air is not on I can use the foot pump. It's also light enough I can load it into my toy hauler, but that's really not necessary. Not sure how it would work in a commercial shop where it would be going up and down all the time. But for home use it works fine.

18. Robby-Bobby

Yea I should rephrase some things.

For home use, I'm sure the harbor freight works well.

I'm literally lifting/lowering my bench 100 times per day.

19. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Who makes a good electric version of these lifts?

20. mgrant

mgrant Well-Known Member

Handy.