1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cycle Jam 2020 at Road Atlanta canceled

Discussion in 'General' started by Mongo, May 21, 2020.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We are not going to be running May 30-31. Just going to be impossible to meet what the track needs to have happen so we both decided not to do the event - and do not go bitching to them, they have been great and tried but they have a lot more to worry about than just one event at one facility. We totally understand and we totally agree with the track.

Looking at moving the National classes to the September date or if possible rescheduling the entire event. More on that when we know more.

Press release -

WERA CYCLE JAM SCHEDULED FOR MAY 30/31 IS CANCELED!

After working with Road Atlanta and their parent company NASCAR this past week and the concerns expressed for our rider’s safety during these times it was mutually agreed to cancel the upcoming May 30/31 event. We are currently looking at a re-schedule and possibly moving the National Races to the September 5/6 already on the schedule for Road Atlanta and have that be the 2020 Cycle Jam. This decision was not easy for either of us and we trust that you all understand that we are dealing with circumstances we can’t control and are making decisions based on the good of all the participants in our paddock.

WERA Motorcycle Roadracing was founded in 1973 and remains the foremost place to develop talent in the sport of motorcycle Roadracing. The legacy of Pro riders on a National and World level is legendary. All events are run by WERA Motorcycle Roadracing with a co-sanction by the AMA and they go coast to coast offering entry level racing with the WERA Sportsman Series as well as a Pro-Am Series with the WERA National Challenge Series, WERA Motorcycle Roadracing also offer Vintage Racing and limited Endurance Racing with Track Day Partners N2 . WERA Motorcycle Roadracing was voted the 2017 AMA Track Organizer of the Year.

For more information on WERA Motorcycle Roadracing please check out our web site at wera.com

2. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Understandable. See y'all at the next round. Maybe the SRAD will be ready then

Killswitch likes this.
  3. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I'm really sorry to read this Sean. My heart really goes out to you and The Czar, as without WERA, some of the most enjoyable motorcycle experiences I've had in life would not have happened.

Yzasserina, Gino230 and adio1dog like this.
  4. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Sean, was the decision dictated by the responses about if people would wear masks all of the time except in the trailer, RV, Truck?

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That was part of it but there as always is more to it all. And don't worry - I totally ignored any responses here and facetubes from those who wouldn't be going anyway or don't even race with us :D

sheepofblue, Shenanigans, 418 and 6 others like this.
  6. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

I'm sure someone from management at Road Atlanta was reading those responses to.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

While I'm thinking about it, if y'all could help us spread the word we would appreciate it. Hate the short notice and found out when we cancelled Auto Club a week ago that putting it here, Roadracing World and facetubes evidently doesn't spread the word as well as we expected given the number of calls we go about that one.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Most likely.

9. inge

inge Between fight or flight, one should choose wisely.

You are correct. :)

10. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Sorry for Sean and Evelyn. I really hope that you all come out of this in good shape.

tl1098 likes this.
  11. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

This sucks for all involved for sure.
    But as it sits now is RA going to keep this mask thing in place for the September round or is it to early for them to decide on this.
    Sorry this crap is hurting the racing people like it is.

Steven

12. Triple R 21

Triple R 21 Well-Known Member

Disappointing that a similar event in same state went off and this could/will not.

rcarson15, Shenanigans, drop and 2 others like this.
  13. 418

418 Expert #59

This sucks but not as much as WERA over extending themselves and loosing their ass on the whole weekend because people didn't show.

Shenanigans and Killswitch like this.
  14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Does that mean I don’t have to wear this silly mask anymore? ;)

15. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I am so disappointed it sucks.... My buddy John James booked a flight yesterday to get over here from CA and race one of my bikes.. Not to mention if it’s a mutual agreement with NASCAR why were they racing last weekend with no one in the stands for them but we can’t? Not bitching and understand it’s about he future of the business. Just pissed my plans are now jacked...

VFR#52 likes this.
  16. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Wait. People from here, would take it upon themselves to go directly to the track, and bitch?

Stupid/ballsy/fuckem

17. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

They were all required to wear masks, also it's not Nascar directly. The owners of Nascar own road Atlanta, so that's why it's getting brought up.

18. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Oh I get it.... Just wish we could have raced.....

noles19 likes this.
  19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

C'mon dude, it is still May.

By September we will have all been released to go crazy across the country, a second wave of Covid-19 will hit, government will clamp down again, and who knows what the requirements will be?

badmoon692008, tl1098 and Phl218 like this.
  20. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Well I dont disagree with your assessment.
    But Mongo may have heard from RA that they may keep this mask deal in place rest of the yr.
    Or they may say it's just for this month as the state is not making then have racers wear mask at these events.
    The distance I drive makes knowing this kinda important for my racing schedule this yr.
    Never know till you ask.

Steven