1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom car shop recommendations

Discussion in 'General' started by tropicoz, Jun 3, 2018.

1. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

I have a 72 Nova that's been sitting around as a mostly stock vehicle for a few years and while I drive it as much as I can, I'm getting the itch to give it the restomod treatment. I'm leaning toward a pro touring build. I'm talking about an LS swap, 4 link rear suspension, tubs, bucket interior, etc. Budget is always a concern, but I'll gladly spend the loot for quality work that will enable me to take the car on road trips and not have to worry about break downs.
    Those of you in the know.....who do you recommend? I'm in the Northeast so I'd like to keep in fairly close to the East coast.

2. justjohn620

justjohn620 Well-Known Member

3. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

i'm from the south but find yourself a quality welder(person) rear end chop being the most critical... i understand budget... get familiar with the actual work that needs to be done so u can approach the bill with an understanding... too many "builders" out there that say yea we can do that... bill quadruple expectation

4. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

5. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Tread lightly when you are looking for a shop. My 67 Nova was a restored car when I bought it. I did what you are wanting to do, mini tubbed, four link. Found out my front clip was damaged during this time also. Had to shift gears from my plans and now it’s getting a full tubed front. Also, wanted my doors gapped and aligned correctly. Paint and body guy I trust said there looked to be other issues as well. Only way to truly know, down to bare metal. He did, and it was restored previously, but badly.

Drivers quarter was done so badly, it will cheaper to cut it off and start again. Toe board was patched, or should I say covered, rust is still under there. Outer cowl plenum(s) were patched with fiberglass instead of being cut out and replaced. I’m sure there will be more once we look further. What I’m getting at is, just because a shop says they can, doesn’t mean they can or will. So, choose wisely. If you want to send it South, I know good people who are reasonable. Even then it ain’t cheap. My car will 15-18k in body work, paint and supplies will another 6k. Luckily, the local PPG rep is covering that cost for me letting him have the 327 I removed. Good luck and let me know if I can help.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

If you were in FL I'd say Ultimate Auto in Orlando. Stuff they are doing is mind bending. Look up their SEMA Camaro. And the wide body mustang after it. They do everything from classics to exotics.