1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRF100 vs NSR50 vs other

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by gluvnaa, Feb 25, 2012.

1. gluvnaa

gluvnaa Well-Known Member

Hey all,

Looking to get into the mini racing and also with Maryland mini moto @ Sandy Hook.

What saith the beeb on best F1 package?

F1: <50cc two-strokes <125cc four-strokes auto-trans/scooters <70cc two and <150cc four

F2: <72cc two-strokes <150cc air-cooled four-strokes

So far i think :

XR CRF: tons of info and parts. Cheaper
    NSR: Better package out of the box. Less info and parts. Way more expensive but has cool factor.

Thanks, Andrew

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  2. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

FWIW, the type of track matters as well. The NSR works great out West with more flowing layouts where you can carry a lot of corner speed. The motard bikes seem to work better at shorter tracks with more of a point-and-shoot layout. Also, the NSR needs a "spec" class to limit the horsepower arms race that invariably seems to start around motard bikes. Left stock, the NSR doesn't need much of anything parts-wise, maybe a top end every year.

3. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Starting out? XR100, bone stock. Go thrash it and have a ball. If you really like it, and the class structure entices you, build it up or get an NSR, etc. If you don't like it, clean the XR up and sell it to another racer for what you've got into it, etc.

4. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

Hard to do this on an XR100, though....

[​IMG]

5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

True... but only 'cause it's more fun to back it in and point and shoot from inside the turn while elbows is perfecting his body positioning there...

(Damn nice form, I hate when kids show me up!)

6. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

Yeah, tell me about it : (

7. fireman343

fireman343 Well-Known Member

Why not have the best of both worlds?? Get a NSR frame, and install a CRF/XR100 motor in it!! That's what I did, now I've got great handling and 4s power/torque!
    [​IMG]

But, in my club a good rider on a XR or NSR will be about equal around the track.. Only differance is, the NSR takes tighter lines and it can be hard to pass a XR if ones in front of ya. But, it can be done ;)

8. jon686

jon686 Well-Known Member

What about the Pitster Pro bikes? Looks like you can get a package deal for a decent price. Must be pretty decent-at least one mini series ran a spec class for them...or was that another brand?

9. Mook

Mook Well-Known Member

+++++++++++++++++

best advice you'll get.

10. Mook

Mook Well-Known Member

S.E.M.R.A. used Thumpstar's with great success.the key is control of the class rules-whatever they may be. if cheating is allowed then it isn't a "spec" class.

haven't had the opportunity to see it firsthand yet but Cam's club uses XR/CRF100's in a "spec" class and has quiet a few riders enter and i can assure you they have a heck of a time and the racing is close.

11. gluvnaa

Just sharing my research for others...

Ive seen older XR100's as cheap as $500 but they look a little rough (wow - the chains!).
    Seems that $800-$1,000 can get a clean XR/CRF with a title.

Estimate its about $250-$300 to fit a BT-45 tires, BBR shock spring, fork springs and XR80 front wheel.

12. gluvnaa

Very sexy. But, which brand has exhaust under the seat??

13. fireman343

14. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

We started a club based on stock racing. The XR100 has made the club explode with new and seasoned racers. We realize in a struggling economy that people do not have the money to put in to the high dollar bikes. My vote is to get a 100 and have a blast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Mook

Mook Well-Known Member

must find a cheap CRF100...:p must find a cheap CRF100...:p must find a cheap CRF100.:p

16. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

Put in your hearing aid boy! You do not need a bike! I know lots of guys and girls that will let you ride their bike! GET TO THE TRACK!

17. gluvnaa

I am looking for a NSR50 or NSF100 if anyone knows one for sale.

Just checked out your website and its pretty awesome!! I sent you an email too BTW....

Andrew

18. fireman343

Thanks man, I need to update it! Lol
    I got your email. Sent one back! Thanks

19. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not as nice as that NSR (YET) but here is my YSR with 125 Lifan vertical. Got it for $500 with a spare body kit. The engine is new but the guy that had it never got it running right so I am working on it. The guy I got it from also put a crf150r engine in an RS125 frame. He also just put an XR100 in his daughters NSR.

20. fireman343