1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crf/xr 50 cases needed

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by renegade17, May 16, 2018.

1. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Bought a xr50 for the daughter and the hammer mechanic before me bolted up training wheels with some farm bolts and punched through the cases. Anyone have a good set of cases or a complete bottom end for sale?

2. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Hope you threw those training wheels right into the garbage ..

3. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

4. renegade17

Put them off to the side for myself.

ekraft84 likes this.
  5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

It's a 50, at the risk of sounding like a hack, is it JB weld fixable?

6. renegade17

It was going to be the plan but its all 4 foot peg bracket bolts and I would have to split the cases to fix 2 of them. Might still happen but was going to try to round something up first.

7. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Do you think training wheels in general for kids are a bad idea on minis? My five year old started on a balance bike and rides a pedal bike effortlessly so debating on getting training wheels for her TTR 50 or just letting her “do it live”.

What’s the consensus on the best way to do that? Training wheels or let her fall? My thinking was training wheels would let her focus on the controls without having to worry about her balance.

8. John Branch

John Branch 90125

If the kid can not ride a bicycle without training wheels! Do you think it’s a good idea to give them more speed? When i worked at motorcycle dealership I would refuse to install training wheels!! Stupidest thing ever!! Let them learn to ride a bicycle first!!! Plenty of time to learn to ride a motorcycle! All it takes is one accident and then there scared of the bike !! Imo

Boman Forklift likes this.
  9. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

This is what we did. Your results may vary:

- Age 2-3: Strider bike, indoors around the house, then outdoors. Balance is established.
    - Age 3-5: Pedal bike. Balance is already there, so now it's learning how to pedal. This was a quick step.
    - Age 4-6: CRF-50/PW50. We started on a CRF-50, which was a little big at his age, but balance was there. We started in the driveway and just practiced learning the brakes, while coasting down the driveway, without the bike running - introducing one variable at a time. After that, we did some more coasting drills, just so he felt the heavier weight of the motorcycle, but the balance was well-established by then, so that was quick. Also working on twisting the throttle smoothly. Throttle locks that came on the 50 were handy.

The first "sending it" was on the sidewalk. We put the bike in 2nd gear, and sent him off, with my brother a ways away, to stop/catch him if needed. No issues, so we kept progressing from there.

If you get the balance going, the training wheels should never be needed, IMO. They are counter-intuitive to everything they are learning on the balance bike.

10. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Listen to Eddie.

There is no need for training wheels. They give a false sense of security.

John Branch and ekraft84 like this.
  11. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Thank you for the detailed and well-thought out post - really appreciate it. I think we're going to try something similar with her learning to coast down the driveway and learn the controls without the bike running to get started.

ekraft84 likes this.
  12. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I agree with Eddie. My son already rode a bicycle when he started with a PW50 my friend owned. We bought him a XR/CRF50 when he was 5 and it was almost too tall, so I borrowed the PW and we went back and forth for a couple days.

We did learn it was easier for Tyler if he started off in 2nd gear with the Honda, as 2nd/3rd it is less snappy. In first gear, the on and off of the throttle, was a bit difficult to master, compared to the zero torque of the 2 stroke PW50.