1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Credit increases

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Message me your card number and let’s put that to the test.

2. Ryan600RR

Ryan600RR Well-Known Member

You can also review your FICO credit score through the Amex app, if you don’t want to use credit karma. The no preset spending limit on Amex cards is tagged to their charge cards, which doesn’t apply to the Delta reserve, because it’s a credit card. If you want to get in on the credit card game, start with Chase cards while you are under 5/24. There are a lot of opportunities out there to maximize value - from sign up bonuses to daily spending.

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. What does that man?

And what’s the difference between a charge card and a credit card?

4. John Branch

John Branch 90125

Charge is like a debit card. You already have a account with the money in it . And credit card is someone else’s $$$

5. Ahhh shit. I should have known that.

So my Visa Debit card is actually a charge card.

6. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

5/24 means once you hit applying for a Chase card for the sixth time in 24 months, you will be denied regardless of your credit health. That limits people from applying for cards just to get a sign up bonus, and never use it.

7. John Branch

John Branch 90125

Not 100% someone correct me if I’m wrong??

8. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

And who doesn’t like giving people boners as often as possible. It’s even better when you can use it!

beac83 likes this.
  9. John Branch

John Branch 90125

I could tell you for sure if you take a close up picture front and back and pm me.:clap::Poke:

10. I don’t get it. Why would I need to apply 5 times?

11. :crackup:

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

The main thing that worries me about "debit" is that the card is typically tied to a balance of sorts like checking or savings.
    I rarely use it as a primary form of payment.
    Credit charges are much easier to reconcile and dispute.
    They all have their best scenario uses.
    The 2 cards I have I use to get free money from Costco and my local bank has a decent rewards program for charges on the card.

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

no mines high enough! :D I just want free shit for the money I spend anyways! :D My costco card does pretty good since Im buying shit there regardless.

14. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Five different cards, five different bonuses.

I have four Amex cards - Delta Gold, Hilton, Everyday, and Blue Cash. DL gave me free flights, Hilton free hotel stays, Blue Cash was $500 sign up bonus, and Everyday was $500 sign up bonus and chance to earn Membership Miles. Chase has cards under different program partners as well. Amazon and Southwest Air are two I know for sure. There are web sites that can help you leverage offers to match your needs. Doctor of Credit is one; The Points Guy is another.

Ryan600RR likes this.
  15. Ryan600RR

Charge cards aren’t debit cards. You don’t preload your money on them. They are like credit cards, but you have to pay the balance in full each month.

5/24 isn’t applying for the same card 5 times. It covers any new card from any bank. Since Chase’s rules are the most strict, the idea is that you maximize them, then move on. There are a lot more in depth resources out there, such as the points guy, YouTube channels, etc.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

See, the point is to use someone else's money and do it for as cheaply as possible and get something for doing it. Yeah, it's great to not be in debt but if you can use your debt to make you some cash or get free shit. . .
    using Debit cards for everything is dangerous and stupid. You want a layer between the gas pump and your bank account. and don't do auto pay unless you have no choice and don't auto pay the entire amount unless you've reviewed it.

TurboBlew likes this.
  17. Man, that just seems like a lot of work. Im all for getting free shit, but only if it comes with very little effort and time consumption. :D

I don't want to mess with a bunch of different cards. Ill either run them all up, or forget to pay one or more of them and have my credit go to shit.

I know a debit card tied to my checking account isn't the smartest thing, but that is what ive done every since college. That way I cant spend money I don't have. I never "play" on credit. I pay for stuff when I buy it and im done with it. I only made an exception with this AMEX because I wanted to get miles and make sure I stay Platinum all the time (or Diamond).

18. Ryan600RR

If you don’t want to do any leg work, then the Citi double cash or Fidelity rewards both offer 2% cash back on everything. Setup auto pay so you’ll never have a late payment, which would definitely affect your credit score.

Gorilla George likes this.
  19. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Screw credit card companies, they do lots of shady stuff like changing due dates and sneaking in charges. I have a credit union debit/atm card and a company Amex. I mostly use cash for personal and have to use the Amex for work.

TurboBlew likes this.
  20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Chris, two cards. An Amex (because you have to pay it off every month) and a Visa or Mastercard.
    I have more but only because I need to keep my business and personal charges separate.

If I was you? An Amex (green or one of the shiny metal ones, don't matter) and something like the Chase I mentioned earlier.

I like control so I don't do auto pay. on anything. I'll fight those f@ckers over an over charge of $ .05 (I pick up pennies in the street) and I want total control.

TurboBlew likes this.