1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Covid19 PSA

Discussion in 'General' started by R Acree, Mar 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

At the very least numbers that are worse than any number of things we don't shut down the world to address.

speeddaddy likes this.
  2. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Pot meet Kettle.

Of the 1.2 mil worldwide/315k US, 80% have symptoms of a mild cold.

3. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Honestly, never even occurred to me to try to improve it. . .definitely will let people know that there are options to make it better. Thank for the info! :beer:

4. How does “pot meet kettle” apply to any of that?

5. Ok, a few points...

1. I’ve never agreed that shutting everything down was the solution. I’ve stated many times how I think they missed the mark when it comes to the balance point between minimizing potential infections, and keeping the economy (somewhat healthy).

I was just bitching about it to the wife this morning. At the time they shut my city down, there were like 2-3 cases in the whole TRI-City area. So because two people are sick, you are going to ruin hundreds of thousands of jobs/lives? Stupid.

2. The biggest difference between this and everything else people compare it to, is the unknown. Even with the measures in place, worldwide cases doubled in 1 week.

The death toll in the US has more than tripled in the past 10 days.

3. The other main difference is that you can’t “catch” heart disease, or abortions, etc from other people. No amount of social distancing would help when it comes to a lot of the stuff people compare this to.

I don’t think shutting the nation down was wise. But I also think it is just as unwise to continually portray this as “not a big deal”.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  6. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

If numbers keep increasing at the rate they have been, I would say the shutdown was wise....and in the big cities, should have been weeks earlier.

7. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Numbers continue to climb: Shutdown wise

Numbers drop: Shutdown wise

Nice position to be in.

8. tony 340

I hate to say this, but after all the divorces kick in and all the businesses that can't rebound close, and all the people that lose family members and struggle with depression.....suicides and overdoses will be up 5-10k people this year. Maybe more

9. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Well let's assume for a moment that this wasn't the accidental release of some engineered virus and that it is a completely natural event. What is nature trying to tell us? My take is that at the point you are struggling so bad to feed people that they are resorting to eating animals, that under better conditions, would be passed over as a food source that you are over populated. So nature hands you a viral outbreak that will greatly thin the heard and bring the food supply back to a sustainable level. Will you be better off if you prevent the natural event from occuring? There may be some instances where an eco system that has been around far longer than man is trying to tell us something to which we aren't listening.

If this was man made then there is good reason to constrain it and hold those that released it accountable even if the release was accidental. I still think the cure is going to be worse than the disease as I still don't think anyone other than me has accepted that their life is never going back to what it was pre-19.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    baconologist likes this.
  10. Fonda Dix

The estimates I have seen say 15,000 additional suicides per 5% rise in unemployment. With the expected rise to 35%, that would be 75,000 deaths caused by economic martial law.

Worth it though I'm sure.

sdg likes this.
  11. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Because 9/11 didnt instill enough paranoia in people.....

12. tony 340

But ho
    But how can we be sure ?

You said "estimates "

13. Fonda Dix

I will look it up but I assume they have a ton of historic/empirical data, based off previous recessions, to use.

This seems to be what is missing in those infection/death projections.

14. One cool thing is happening worldwide, animals are taking over. :D

I watched a video that showed footage in various countries all over (including the US), where goats, bears, monkeys, mountain lions, cougars, and deer are just roaming the streets.

There are no humans around, so animals are naturally extending their “comfort zone” when searching for food, water, shelter, etc.

Of course they showed Bourbon St being overrun with rats. :crackup: With everything closed and no people, thousands of rats are just roaming around like they own the place.

G 97 likes this.
  15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Its going to be an interesting week in the US. We're at the "tipping point" this week. Its either going to get really ugly, or we'll reach peak and start to see some optimism about getting past this.

16. Fonda Dix

I went off roading for about 5 hours yesterday and saw a ton of animals. Deer, Elk, a Mountain Lion and one wild goat. They were closer to town than normal and in greater numbers than usual.

Gorilla George likes this.
  17. Fonda Dix

Jobs or deaths?

Or both?

:D

18. The video I saw looked like some shit out of I Am Legend. It was awesome. :D

19. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

While you are looking that up, you might want to also get back into checking into that meme you posted 3 weeks ago in support of limiting mitigations and said you were gonna validate its accuracy.
    Let me remind you: "Virus is slowing down".

Keep drinking the purple, and don't forget the lithium.

20. G 97

G 97 Garth

Holey moley of obsession,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.