1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could use a little advice on this starter racebike

Discussion in 'General' started by Auron, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Auron

Auron Well-Known Member

I've decided to get into racing and see how it goes in the novice class.

This bike is an absolute steal and it's also a model I'm familiar with as well as enjoy riding very much.
    Mileage is unknown due to a broken speedo. If you pause the video at :26 you'll see something interesting about the way it's been broken. Story is that it was salvaged at 50 miles and raced for a few seasons. It was bought by a guy that only fixed it up after it had been sitting for 10 years. I guess he cleaned out the rusty tank and replaced the FPR to getting it running.

The issue is I don't know if the motor has been built, what internal mods have been made or even what weight the suspension is sprung for. It's a little to far away to go see unless I'm going to actually buy it so the video he made is all I have.

I'd appreciate any advice here, wondering if there any Run Forrest Runnnn comments.

The video I'm speaking of is the 3rd box from the last.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/29aqtw1s7dqqndj/AABgEInPPCebvO7dgdZyiYVaa?dl=0

2. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

Rusty tanks are like herpes. Just when you think the problems have gone away, they come back. It's like the gift that keeps giving. :)

3. If the bike is a "steal", there is likely a reason for it. You could be buying somebody else's headache.

Unknown mileage, unknown motor condition/mods/history...on a bike that is very old and across the country....I would keep looking unless you can get it for about $250.

Getting into racing is very exciting and it would suck to shell out that cash, get halfway into your first race, and your motor blows.

4. Auron

Auron Well-Known Member

Not anywhere close to $250. Add a zero to that, actually. I thought it was a steal but I guess I just haven't been looking hard enough.

5. You could probably find a good 04-05 R6 for not far out of that price range.

6. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Yup, or any number of front running 250's for that

Gorilla George likes this.
  7. Auron

Auron Well-Known Member

That's what I'll probably end up doing. Were the 2nd gen R6's fairly similar to the F4i? That was such a forgiving bike but I think all the leftover F4i racebikes are gone.

8. Auron

Auron Well-Known Member

R6 is my second choice, this one is the only one close to me but he wants $3500. Been down several times on each side. Orignial owner 11K, mostly street. Is this a good deal?

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/5392977558.html

Akrapovic Slip On Exhaust
    Penske Rear Shock (installed by STM)
    Suspension set for a 175 lb rider by STM
    Scotts Steering Damper
    Woodcraft Clip Ons
    Vortex Rear Sets
    Power Commander V (tuned by Imperial Sportbike. I have the dyno chart)
    Racing Plastics
    Woodcraft Stator Cover
    Spiegler Brake Lines
    K&N Air Filter
    Dunlop Race Tires with about 75% tread left

9. The 04-05 R6's are great bikes and can still be competitive in the modern bike classes.

10. Auron

Auron Well-Known Member

Is $3500 to much for this one though?

11. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I have a F4i that I use for trackday coaching. Fun bike to ride and put miles on. Not a good racebike. I have turned much faster times on my F3. for $3500 you could get a more competitive 600 for the modern classes, or for $200 you could get my F3 with some spare and it can win in it's classes.

You would still have money to service it, put new tires and enter a bunch of V7 MW/HW v8 MW/HW races.

lightning97 likes this.
  12. Auron

Auron Well-Known Member

Interesting, I went way faster on my F4 than I did my 600RR

13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Buy an 03-05(03-04 would actually be my preference due to standard forks)R6. Great bike, much more forgiving than most newer bikes, yet still capable of winning.

14. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

$200?

15. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Yeah..this... Because if accurate---dibs!:D

16. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

NAH NO NO NO HELL NO......I caught the shit. I get it first.

17. Auron

Auron Well-Known Member

It's my thread I get it!

18. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Sorry $2000. I don't know how to proofread

19. kbro45

kbro45 Well-Known Member

$3500 would be a decent price if it had ohlins or similar fork cartridges. If it is the stock front end I would be looking to pay like $2800.

20. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

if you're just breaking into racing and looking to spend $3000 on the bike, it absolutely shouldn't be a 600 of any flavor. ninja 250 or an SV at the most.