1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could I race a newer r6 with stock bodywork?

Discussion in 'General' started by drewthere, Feb 2, 2019.

1. drewthere

drewthere Well-Known Member

I've read before that for certain bikes a "belly pan" have been made.

Aside from all the safety wiring and disabling the lights. What could be done to race the bike without race fairings?

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Take the lights off anyways.In case of a crash its less parts to pay for replacing if it returns to street duty. Turkey pan wired in between the stock lowers will work.....and Im sure im not the only one who has done that with a stock bike to get it on track in short order.

SpeedyE likes this.
  3. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Can you? Yes. Should you? Not recommended because there is a very good chance you'll crash and destroy it all. Even the cheapest, crappiest race bodywork is a better choice.

SpeedyE and TurboBlew like this.
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the catch or belly pan (and capacity) is the most important item. How new is newer ?

5. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Do it. I raced an 04 GSXR 600 for a season in stock trim before I went full race with it. Never got a scratch on the bodywork.

Funny thing was, as soon as I put it back to street to sell it a few years later my dad borrowed it and crashed the shit out of it.

SpeedyE likes this.
  6. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

I would always rip the new oem body and tank off, then buy cheap glass and dented ebay tank....then spray bomb it. Cheap, and you have your oem/tank set aside for selling or using if you put bike back to street or sell.

5axis likes this.
  7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Another vote for cheap race bodywork. You can buy budget stuff for about the cost of a set of tires or a track weekend. If you drop the bike in the stock stuff it’ll cost you a few thousand dollars to replace.

SpeedyE likes this.
  8. 418

418 Expert #59

By the time he race preps the thing and takes all the street stuff off, what are the chances that it's ever going to be a street bike again?

Might as well use the stock stuff. When you crash it, buy a set of race bodywork.

But yeah, the lower needs to somehow hold fluid.

9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

A complete set of newer R6 stock bodywork is worth at least a couple grand more than the track stuff.

SpeedyE likes this.
  10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I couldnt give my stock body away. It was mint and not a single street mile on it. Only thing that sold was the fuel tank.

SpeedyE and 418 like this.
  11. 418

418 Expert #59

Maybe 10 years ago.

Now you can buy Ebay china street bodywork for $500. Nobody is going to give you any kinda decent coin for stock stuff.

TurboBlew and SpeedyE like this.
  12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

If that's the case, sell the stock stuff to some asshat that dropped his streetbike and use the money to buy more parts.