1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Concrete patio slope help

Discussion in 'General' started by svracer22, Jun 29, 2020.

1. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

I'm putting in a concrete patio and was wondering about slope. I see the standard seems to be 1/4" per foot. The patio will be 18' x 24' so at 1/4" per foot I end up with 4-1/2" drop over 18'. It looks like a lot especially since it's below level siding on the house. The patio will be in a corner of the house and garage walls.
    I'm thinking of going with 1/8" per foot. What are the experts thoughts?

2. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

As long as you get the slab flat, youll be fine.

the 2% slope is more for commercial, industrial, highway work. Wouldnt want anybody suing the city because someone slipped on 2.5% slope on a public walk

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Set the edge against the house level and slope away to the far corner.

4. G 97

G 97 Garth

Speaking of slope. My back patio are pavers set on a 4” concrete slab that is not connected to the house foundation. Over the past couple of years, the slab has sunk. I’m not too concerned as it still slopes away from the house. As you can see it’s sunk @ 5” or so. You can see the original chalk line for reference. Anyone have any experiences with polylift?

87B84B86-1363-4A84-9C2F-161EF6C580B1.jpeg 92C43B20-39C7-4D75-B882-D739C56DFDB6.jpeg 5486EBA0-1DD7-418C-887D-DEB12DF944F4.jpeg

5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Yes.

Sabre699 likes this.
  6. G 97

G 97 Garth

:crackup: Please expound.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You aren't the boss of him.

ChemGuy likes this.
  8. ChemGuy

:D

They inject rigid closed cell urethane foam into holes drilled into the slab. This fills any voids and lifts up the slab. If the cause of the settling was water flow...like bad drainage, roof runoff, etc unless that is fixed it will happen again.
    If the settling is stable, ie hasnt moved in a few years, the when they are done it shouldnt move again.
    If the slab is still settling find out why and stop it before lifting, or its a waste of money.

If you do it its an imprecise science. basically they shoot some foam in and see how much it moves, or doesnt. And keep injecting until it goes back up. They may overshoot. They may stop a little too son and now it wont move. It may not be 100% level. The slab WILL most likely crack. maybe several places. Concrete patios aren't designed to move that way and take those forces.

So in the end you will have a lot of holes and cracks in your mostly level slab. But you can fill the cracks and grind it smooth as needed. If those pavers are removable you will wont them off so they dont drill thru them. Then you put them back and cover the slab...so thats nice.

Find a good contractor who does mostly this....not some guy who does coatings and other crap and CAN do injection when he's not spraying.

BigBird and G 97 like this.
  9. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Pull the nails , wash off the chalk line and leave it alone .

10. G 97

G 97 Garth

This is exactly what one of my buddies told me and to simply stop looking at it and look the other way. :D
    B89F099F-D10F-4DEF-B6BE-CA575FE95D60.jpeg

motoracer1100 likes this.
  11. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Words of wisdom. ;)

G 97 likes this.
  12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It'll be covered with snow in a few months anyway.

G 97 likes this.
  13. ChemGuy

But the snow will still have a slope to it.....

G 97 likes this.
  14. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

He can ski onto the pond then.

joec, ChemGuy and G 97 like this.
  15. G 97

G 97 Garth

:(

16. ChemGuy

Good point.

But then the gub'ment would want him to pull permits for operating as a ski area ....and that opens up a whole new ball of wax.:D

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Which can be used on the skis

joec and Sabre699 like this.
  18. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Is your buddy a pedophile by any chance?

upload_2020-6-30_16-31-24.png

19. joec

joec brace yourself

Not to mention the wetlands issue.

G 97 likes this.
  20. G 97

G 97 Garth

Most of those got rolled back. :clap: