1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"clacking" noise from 05 gsxr 1k clutch

Discussion in 'Tech' started by gahooligan, Feb 10, 2009.

1. gahooligan

gahooligan Well-Known Member

From idle, with a small flick of the throttle, I get a "clattering-CLACK" sound from the clutch only when the lever is out. If I pull the lever in the noise stops. ANY suggestions on what to be checking before I pull it down? The clutch is in adjustment and the slipper screws are 2 1/4 as suggested. Other than the noise the clutch operates as it should. I did go through a period of it getting too much slack in the cable. once adjusted out it returned to normal, this had to be done several times.
    Thank you for your help.

Matt in GA

2. Windshield

Windshield Well-Known Member

You have a broken clutch plate...?

3. eastbag

eastbag Member

4. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Matt, my shop is in nearby Hoschton if you would like to bring it by for a look. Noises don't translate well over the internet. Lots of experience with all kinds of GSX-Rs from 1986 to 2009.

706-658-0368
    Rick Matheny
    RM Racing

5. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

I've heard that noise from a GSXR and it was caused by excessive clearance between the crank's primary drive gear teeth and the clutch basket's driven gear teeth.
    BUT it happened AFTER I installed a new clutch basket and went away with ANOTHER new clutch basket...production "tolerances" I suppose.
    So, see if the clutch basket has "too much" forward and backward slop (with the engine off of course!).