1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing a bike.

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by wreckless4thf, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Tell em to pound sand. Nobody should be giving you crap after your first weekend.

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I don't know what was said by anybody or any discouraging remarks, but the advice about the mini bikes is great advice for getting more time in a low cost environment in addition to your time with wera.
    I have bikes id split time with your son on at any cmp kart track day you would like and i'm confident i could get him a loaner bike at any Vir kart track day.
    I try my best to never schedule any cmp days against a wera race weekend so he wouldn't lose any race weekends if it's something you're interested in.

3. wreckless4thf

wreckless4thf Pacman 712

Thanks i really appreciate it. It was all my fault for misunderstanding wera and made a fool of myself and my son. People were trying to tell us this in a nice way but i didn't get what they were saying till now. I guess I'd have preferred someone to just came out to me and said straight up that wera is not for beginners or people just wanting to learn to race and have fun doing so. We are complete newbies to road racing so i promise we didn't know or we would have went to schools and track days and sorted out our equipment while doing that instead of a race. We are gonna do it the right way now. Bike is going to be gone through at race shop and were gonna do schools and track days as we can afford it till he can be competitive and then come back and race. It's what we should have done from the start but i misunderstood the advise i was getting. Again thanks for all your help and i sincerely apologize for making an azz out of myself lol.

4. wreckless4thf

wreckless4thf Pacman 712

Oh and one more thing i would like to do both (race and train) at the same time but i can't. I don't have that loose of a budget lol. Were motocrossers. We ran every week 2 days a week for a month for what road racing cost one weekend. So i have to do one at a time.

5. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

ok heres a thought.
    IIRC, you said you have a nearly new CRF150r in the garage. I assume he's very comfortable on that bike. That's a much better starting point than a bike he's not familiar with, even if it were perfect.

get these tires
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/6012/i/bridgestone-battlax-bt-45-sport-touring-front-tire

100/90-19 - $110.57
    100/90-16 - $98.89
    Free shipping

YES, get 2 front tires.
    Mount them on the 150 and come to Tally and run the Mini 80 class. The entries are 1/2 of a normal class and he'll get track time on a familiar platform.

6. noles19

From everything Mongo said, and his is the opinion that counts you didn't make an was out of yourself. Honestly you're being overly hard on yourself over nothing, without the bike problems it sounds like you would have had a great weekend.
    As far doing both I completely understand I'm in the same boat haha, but if it's something your like to try in the future just let me know, the cost would be 150$ or 200$ probably the Bikes would be free to use.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

WERA is for beginners. Always has been, always will be. Ignore the naysayers. Just because some prefer the route of doing trackdays first doesn't make it right, just a different route.

You guys did nothing wrong at all - if there was any issue no matter how small with Paxton we'd have told you so. He was fine out there given the bike issues and the races he was in - which is why I left him out there.

Just get the clutch fixed and come racing if that's what you want to do. Ignore all of the internet experts.

8. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^^^^^ WERA is for beginners...I am a novice racer that just started last year. I don't have the latest and greatest equipment (I sourced a lot of used parts from ebay and Facebook to build my racebike--which has over 20,000 miles on it) I finish at the back of the pack every race I am in but I have fun. If I was hazard out there I know the officials would pull me in. WERA is a great organization with a lot of great members who may not even know you but are more than willing to help you out repairing your bike or loaning you a part so you can make your grid. Don't be discouraged. :beer::up:

9. wreckless4thf

wreckless4thf Pacman 712

We would like to race and we may go to Talladega if this is the case. I know Paxton isn't up too speed yet and i am worried that he will mess people up especially those guys flying on the 650's. I didn't know they would be running the bigger bikes with the 250s. We do have a 2015 crf150rb and a crf250r but i need to sell the 150 to help pay for the streetbike stuff. Were gonna keep the 250 for now. Thanks for the input guys.

10. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Bring him to Tally. He can ride my XR in Mini50. Not sure I want to get between Barbra and Christina :D

11. wreckless4thf

wreckless4thf Pacman 712

Thank you for the offer but Paxton only wants to race the Ninja lol.

12. noles19

As long as he holds his line and is predictable, it doesn't really matter how slow you go. It's always the passing riders job to make a clean pass.

13. sowega

sowega #710

Talladega is a much simpler track to learn and ride, and it's a ton of fun on a 250. If you guys can make the Friday trackday/practice, you'll be in great shape. If not, there are usually a wide variety of skill levels and speeds in the E/F classes and the track is short enough that he'll have plenty of opportunity to follow other racers and see what they're doing.

If you guys need anything, I'll be there on my 250. Dark green bike, #710.

14. Dont worry about that. It is up to the faster rider to make a clean pass. He shouldnt worry about messing anyone up, or worry about anything going on behind him. And even worse, he shouldnt do anything abnormal in an attempt to "get out of the way".

If the guys are fast enough to lap him, they have seen him long before he knows they are there. They have already judged his speed vs theirs, know where they will catch/pass him and have planned accordingly. If he looks around alot, tries to move out of the way etc, it could do more harm than good.

Just tell him to do his thing, keep working and improving, and dont worry about the faster guys. I can assure you they will get by. :beer:

15. :up:

16. wreckless4thf

wreckless4thf Pacman 712

Thanks!! Probably be there Saturday night for Sunday race. Were 712 lol.

17. :moon:

18. sowega

sowega #710

I'm probably rolling in on Saturday night or Sunday morning. See you guys there.

Also, it's a WERA tradition to get a handful of axle grease and rub Broome's bike for good luck. Don't forget to do that before every practice and race!

19. wreckless4thf

wreckless4thf Pacman 712

I been preaching that to him over and over. Hold your line and hold on when they come by lol.

20. wreckless4thf

wreckless4thf Pacman 712

Lol ok!! :beer: