1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chevy Transmission issue

Discussion in 'General' started by colin96, Oct 8, 2012.

1. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member

Because the Beeb knows all, and it reaches far and wide.

02 suburban z71 210,000 miles.

So drove about 8 miles to destination, no problem. Sat about 30mins, then headed back. Pull out onto highway and accelerate. Tranny slips bad, revs a bit, then engages again. I think whoa, what was that! I pull up at red light and hear a whining from underneath center. Worse at slow speeds, under 2/3 mph. Light turns green, I take off ok but doesn't shift to 2nd till about 3,500 rpms, get on highway, no shift to OD. Take it on home, pull into garage. Place in park, slow whine when in neutral and park. Will not engage reverse. All forward gears engage, just not reverse. Check tranny fluid, very low, add a quart, while running in neutral. Level between knotches now.

Try again to engage reverse, no go. Just a slow whine like something is close to engaging but not quite.

Climb underneath and the whine is coming from transfer case in the front portion of case right near the selector. At least that's what it sounds like.

Any hints?

2. aedwards01

aedwards01 Well-Known Member

Reaction shell broke in the trans. Seen it a hundred times, the new ones are hardened and dont have this problem. Pretty good to get 210k out of it, time to pull it out and overhaul the thing.

3. aedwards01

aedwards01 Well-Known Member

Supposed to look like the one on the left with the ring on top.

Attached Files:

4. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

:D

5. common problem with GM's of that generation. my 04 silverado had the same problem. it shifted late and hard into 2nd gear. everything else worked fine.

6. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

Find out which model trans you have. Then you can get a DVD that will show you how to rebuild it step by step. Look up a place called transtar industries to get your parts, and you can probably rebuild it yourself for well under $1K.

7. colin96

Good advice and quick responses. Thanks so far.

Posted on a Chevy forum, all I get is crickets.

Beeb rocks!

8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Impossible. Everyone knows Fords have all the issues!

9. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

What??? I thought this place said Dodge has all the issues?!?!?! :D

10. yzmaico

yzmaico Well-Known Member

http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...|_Transmission_Service_|_rebuilt_transmission

Been a few years since I worked at Chevy, you need to do a complete rebuild the GM certified program was pretty affordable.

11. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

I'm still leaning toward the Dodge, so if I pick one up I will create a Lever type Dodge RAM thread for everybody to tear me apart in...:D

12. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Can't begin to tell you how many chev rwd and dodge fwd transmissions I've R+R'd..
    Dang near paid for my Honda..

13. colin96

Dealership says 3k$ installed with 3yr/100k warranty.

Private guy that I know says he can get me one with 3yr/100k warranty for $1600, but I'd have to stab it in myself. Which is doable.

What fun!

14. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

well I currently have a 2001 Dodge Intrepid that has rolled past 225k miles that is on its original trans... Never even changed the fluid...
    We bought it brand new in 01... It is me sons daily beater now... He cant seam to break it and put the final death nail in her...

15. chcknugget

chcknugget Well-Known Member

I think you actually lose 2nd, 4th, and reverse when the sunshell reactor gear breaks. First will rev way out, then BAM into third... Mine spun the gear off while idling in the orlando airport parking deck at 100,000 miles. I pushed it out of the parking spot and drove it straight to aamco. P.S. don't drive it like this or risk engine damage from over-revving!

16. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

Those are pretty much the same numbers I was quoted for my 4L60E. I rebuilt it myself for $400 including some extra upgrades. If you have the time, it isn't really all that bad.

17. chcknugget

If you don't want to rebuild it yourself I would search around for a good independent transmission shop. I recently had my 4l60E rebuilt in my 4x4 jimmy for $1650 out the door and that included "the beast" sunshell gear, remanufactured torque converter, a new flexplate, and cooler lines. When my transmission failed the first time I took it to Aamco and they rebuilt the transmission without "the beast" and it cost about $2200.

18. PATBAROK

PATBAROK I <3 Poontang

same thing broke on my 97 Hoe and I just ended up replacing it with a Jasper Trans with a 3yr/100k wty-all for $2k installed..

19. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

wow, that name brings back some memories. I didnt know they were even still in business. I worked for them almost 35 years ago when i was in highschool pulling orders in the warehouse. Very cool. :up:

20. chcknugget

Todd, they still have a warehouse up north of Atlanta in Norcross... I was over there a few weeks ago picking up a flexplate for my 1987 econoline. Miraculously they still have them in stock!