1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Checkout charities

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Sep 2, 2019.

1. When Amazon has trucks that can fill me up with gas while I’m driving, while also passing me a snack, I’ll do that.

2. The more I think about it, that explains why upper management requires cashiers to ask every time. They can claim the donations as their own and make/save money.

Even if the companies aren’t getting a cut right off the top, I knew there had to be something in it for them.

They are playing on most people’s desire to not feel like an asshole. They know most people won’t say “No” when directly asked, especially if it is just rounding up the change.

3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

"Will it be donated in my name, and can you provide me a receipt?"

K51000 likes this.
  4. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

That works only if you are weak. Their opinion of me has a value of absolute zero.

K51000, Newsshooter, Rebel635 and 3 others like this.
  5. Awesome.

I’ll use that from now on.

6. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I always feel like an asshole then.

Gorilla George likes this.
  7. Phl218

Phl218 .

#NotToday

Is all it takes.

But yes, aggravating as heck

8. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Im an asshole because I always tell them that I am not in a position to donate money. :oops:

9. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I always say "No!" so loud that the cashier is scared to ask anyone else for two weeks. I consider myself to be doing a service for the community.

10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

11. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

I can deal with the charities, “I’ve already donated” seems to work 90% of the time. What gets me going is the credit card application. I’ve already said no 47 times, saving 10% on a $32 purchase isn’t going to sway me. I know it comes from management but it’s still aggravating.

Gorilla George likes this.
  12. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

The tax strategy would only work if they didn't admit to collecting the money in the first place. If they hid the fact and claimed it was coming out of profits, then yes, it would affect their total income. Seems to be a risky thing for a national brand to do....local pizza shop, probably. As for me, I do drop my excess change in the Salvation Army Christmas bucket....

13. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

They’re not writing it off as their own. You’re correct, that would be blatant fraud. They’re still using it as a customer funded marketing tool though, by claiming PR (not tax) credit and not having to make the donation themselves. Historically a lot of large companies have spent more money advertising their charitable donations, than they actually donated. If you go along with this, now they don’t even have to donate.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

It depends. Some places have a can/ 5 gallon water bottle/ bucket and it lists the cause directly on it, I might toss my change in there. A lot of these are local sports programs and I know the cash goes directly to them.
    Grocery stores that round up or donate a dollar to whatever, I check out the cause before I give them cash.

causes like Unicef, the "homeless" out standing in traffic or non charity charities with their can near the register can kiss my ass. Nothing goes to the charity and in the case of the moochers, I've seen them occasionally get into nicer cars then me at the end of a "shift."

K51000 likes this.
  15. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

There's a local Qdoba I frequent near me that always has hoodlums asking for "donations to the local boys and girls club" sitting at a table with a bucket for cash donations.
    No adults present and absolutely no signage validating they're from any legit charitable organization.

And people are dumb enough to give them money!!!!!

People.....it's BALTIMORE!!!

16. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

You find it necessary to treat the cashier like shit, that’s cool.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, that's way on the condescending side of things for absolutely no reason.

18. YamahaRick

Truth hurts at times. Sorry if it offended you when you heard me say it, but it is used when they are aggressive about that crap.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What is the truth? That someone working as a cashier is a lesser human being than you?

20. YamahaRick

If they harp on something I find offensive, then yes. They are probably a racist anyway (I can say that, right? Not totally white here. :--) ).