1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Chec" light on, '04 GSX-R 600, push starts but not with button

Discussion in 'Tech' started by w8lifter21, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Bike will push start and ride ok, but will not start with the start button. Here is what the FSM has to say about it:

"CHEC": The LCD panel indicates "CHEC" when no communication signal from the ECM is received for 5

seconds.

For Example

NOTE: The ignition switch is turned ON, and the engine stop switch is turned OFF. In this case, the speedometer does not receive any signal from ECM, and the panel indicates "CHEC".

If CHEC is indicated, the LCD does not indicate the trouble code. It is necessary to check the wiring harness between ECM and speedometer couplers.

The possible cause of this indication is as follows;

Engine stop switch is in OFF position. Side-stand/ignition inter-lock system is not working. Ignition fuse is burnt.

Ign fuse is ok, but I am a little confused as to what the "side-stand/ignition interlock system" is.

I take it that's the system that shuts the bike down if you try and click first with the stand down? I do know the stand switch and the clutch switch has been bypassed because this was a former track bike, but haven't gotten under the tank or had a chance to meter continuity of the clutch wires yet.

Other things I should check to rule out?

2. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Sounds like you've already identified the most likely cause. Good luck.

3. maxpat82

maxpat82 Well-Known Member

kill switch or stand switch.

the clutch switch doesn't make a "check" in the dash.

ps.: removing the clutch switch make you loose some hp.

4. Thanks for the info! Yeah I am reading that there is a HP drop or a drop in 500rpm from redline. I will most definitely put that on a switch!

5. I took the switch apart and tested continuity between the two wires that touch while the start button is pressed, I believe it is yellow/blue and orange/white, the thinner of the 4 wires in the switch. I took the switch apart to see what colors would be in there, and then traced it to a plug that is connected to the frame, right infront of the air box. Wires were metered at that plug and there is continnuity while the switch is pressed so the switch IS good.
    On a side note, there were two wires that were cut short coming out of the switch. I a slightly thicker orange/white, and yellow/white. Both of these wires show continuity while the button is not pressed. Not sure what they are for or where they go to.

Clutch switch is good, tested continuity there as well.

"Chec" only shows while the bike's kill switch is in the off position. Flip it on and the fuel pump primes, and the chec goes away, just no start.

I was able to trace the wires from the switch, to a plug between airbox and frame, and then it goes into a BIG wireloom with a bunch of wires that looks like it runs down the side of the frame, under the tank, seat and up to the fuse box in the back. Anywhere else I can the starter wires? I would rather not have to dig that huge wireloom out and start hunting for wires blind.

6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

30A fuse on starter relay good?

Jump +12v from battery briefly to starter hot lead with a jumper cable. Be careful not to weld anything with the lead. If the starter turns, your problem is in the relay or its wiring.