1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cheap/ebay fuel caps

Discussion in 'General' started by nlzmo400r, Aug 9, 2018.

1. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Prolly leak less than Vortex.

3. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I have one on one of my TL's.... Works fune but you need to unscrew the vent screw a bit from the base to let it breathe better... Otherwise Vaporlock...

4. backbone

backbone scarred for life

The bottom is worth the $$$ imo. I hate the style of the top one, it is easy to drop the cap and if you are in a hurry it takes forever to start the threads to screw in.

BigBird likes this.
  5. Don’t put cheap, knock-off, eBay shit on your motorcycle.

[/thread]

6. nlzmo400r

Then I have to question what's 'knockoff'. Is an SSR $75 fuel cap a cheap knockoff that isnt any good. 'TWM' is a company I've never heard of, but because they cost $100, I assume they're not 'knockoff'. Or is the ONLY ones worth buying $175 driven/halo racing caps?

7. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Lightech FTW

Shocker and BigBird like this.
  8. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i have no idea why someone would want a screw on gas cap for a bike. Or why this is a thing to do... I was a new racer once. Got the cool vortex anodized cap like all the cool kats had... lost a cap one time before we even went on track. Another time, it wasn't tight and was getting mr9 in my crotch (burns like hell). My AM season, on my 2000 f4, the screw on vortex cap wouldn't vent, so like clockwork, would vapor lock and die 1/2 way through the first lap of the race (warm up lap no problem..).

At least on an r6, just bust the lock on the stock cap. All ya need is a flat head screwdriver or anything that will turn the lock, and the cap will open and pop up. Can't lose the cap, won't strip threads, won't vapor lock. Done. :)

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

And those screw in ones allow water in if your bike is caught out in the rain.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

MELK-MAN likes this.
  10. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Ive been told I was ghetto because I drilled out my stock caps and use a flatblade screwdriver like that now. I left my gas cap key at home one time and made it all the way to NJMP before I realised I left the key at home. Its nice not worrying about whether or not I have the key now:beer:

BigBird and MELK-MAN like this.
  11. It isn’t necessarily about the price. It is about buying things from reputable companies with well-known QC standards and customer service.

In other words, go to www.aportbiketrackgear.com and see what kinds of gas caps they offer.

Pick which one you like and go with it.

It will be good quality, and will come with good service after the sale if necessary.

sheepofblue, Wingnut and MELK-MAN like this.
  12. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

MELK-MAN likes this.
  13. MELK-MAN

14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

well the screw on ones are "lighter" than a stock keyed assembly.
    And of course no key needed

However even the spring loaded 1/4 turn caps can get "lost" or "if left loose can come off inconveniently"

I believe MA rules state the gas cap has to be "locking type"...

MELK-MAN likes this.
  15. MELK-MAN

yea, cause that 3 oz is a huge diff :)
    and ya dont' need a key once you break the lock on a stock cap. Anything with a flat head works. Pocket knife, car keys, screw driver, toe nail clipper handle.. and NO chance of losing the cap, or having gas spill in your lap. If the cap isn't down, just smack it. no need to try and twist it shut at 120mph...
    Totally agree, it just takes one time of 1) losing the cap, or 2) getting lap full of fuel.. to ask yourself "why did i get this thing?"

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  16. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

I went with the TWM from motomillion and it’s pretty sweet.

BigBird likes this.
  17. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

When do you need it by? I have about 4 Ducati gas caps of varying style in my parts bin. One of those Suzuki Vortex screw on ones too.

18. nlzmo400r

That's good to hear. I'm really just looking for a 1/4 turn style cap with the necessary venting provision and seals that will work as designed and keep fuel in the tank and not leak when sloshing etc. If this can be accomplished for $40, that's better than $140

19. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

20. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Sportbiketrackgear.com

Gorilla George likes this.