1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chatter help

Discussion in 'Tech' started by TRK, Jul 30, 2015.

1. TRK

TRK Well-Known Member

I get wicked chatter turn in to apex. It is so bad I think I lost some fillings. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I have tried springs, ride height, steering bearings, valving, and obviously rebound compression. I haven't tried oil levels of geometry changes.

99 sv650
    R6 front en
    Attack adjustable clamps
    Dunlops

2. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Wheel Ballance

Bent disc or discs

I have had this in the past, and found that leaving all the front axle bolts loose, if I bounced up and down on the bike a bit with the wheel on the ground, and then Tourqued all bolts up, there was no Chatter.

Food for thought

3. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i have $10 that says you put any tire on there BUT a dunlop, and that problem vanishes.

I'm serious...

4. MELK-MAN

could have read his post wrong.. but he's not describing a warped rotor issue. He's got grip chatter.. all the way through the corner at lean even not trail braking.
    Totally agree about having the proper method for tightening up the front end though ! pulling a fork tube in when sliding the axle in, and not freeing that fork leg up, can case issues for sure.

5. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Make it $11.

:D

6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Front tire pressure off the warmers?

7. TRK

TRK Well-Known Member

I have tried 31 to 36 lbs, multiple wheels, multiple warmers

8. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

9. MELK-MAN

... but you haven't tried a different brand tire yet ?

10. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Notice any difference between 31 and 36? If not, it's probably not the tire.

You can safely keep going up and see if it helps. I have gone as high as 41psi with chatterbox bikes like the previous gen ZX-10. The grip is not that different. You should also try different setting with your damping, first with rebound. Push down on the front end and then let go. Does it jump right back up at you, or can you hear fluid hissing in the forks like there is actually some hydraulics at work? Does it return so slowly that you have to wait?

11. TRK

TRK Well-Known Member

No diff on pressure, but I haven't gone over 36lbs hot
    I will try more damping changes, rebound seems right. Decent speed up with no bounce.

12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Suspension hot or cold?
    I chased a chatter problem once, dismissing any chance it was rebound. Never solved it and the idea of it being rebound didn't set in 'til after the fact. It quite well may have been rebound.
    T13, Jennings.

13. TRK

TRK Well-Known Member

Hot cold warm, doesn't matter

14. MELK-MAN

... so is there any hope you would try another brand of tire .. ? or are you obligated to run dunlop?

15. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Yeah, because he'll have a new set of problems to deal with instead...

[​IMG]

16. gixxercurt

gixxercurt Curtis Murray

:crackup:

17. MELK-MAN

hey.. you guys.. enough with snappy comebacks ;) :beer:

18. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Customer Dunlops suck big time

19. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

It's funny. Racers go fast on all brands of tires, but brand loyalty says that's impossible. The OP can solve his problem without changing tire brands. I've helped racers do it.

20. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

100% agree