1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing Springs

Discussion in 'Tech' started by riopko, Mar 15, 2004.

1. riopko

riopko Slowest Expert Ever

Just got a new spring for my twin-clicker. The manual says back off preload til tension is off spring - remove retaining ring.....

Well my preload is backed off as far is it can physically go and I still have some tension on the spring. Is this normal?

What are some of the creative methods of compressing the spring to remove it. I am sure there are.

:confused:

2. aero1100

aero1100 Well-Known Member

Be careful/spring compressor

I'm relatively new to the motorcycle spring thing but I have played with 4x4 trucks a lot and have to tell you to be careful! I have seen a truck spring go half way through a fender panel and they can definetly pinch off fingers. I have also had a fork spring on one of my cruisers go through the ceiling of my garage!
    Are you sure you have the right spring? It would seem abnormal for there not to be enough rod length to accomodate the unloaded spring. We have to use limiting straps on the trucks just to keep them from popping out when we unload a wheel.
    If this is the right spring, Autozone, Advance Auto, NAPA etc usually loan out tools and have a spring compressor that should work for you. It's basically 2 or 4 hooks on a threaded rod. Hook the coils, turn a nut on the rod and it compresses the spring. It also lets you slowly expand the spring once you have it on or off. It's easy to use but still be careful and have a friend around in case something goes wrong. There is a lot more energy in a loaded spring than you would think. Good luck - Christopher

3. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

My F3 twin clicker was still loaded with the coller backed off most of the way.

I took it to a bike shop that did work on quads and they had a spring compresser that worked.

4. riopko

riopko Slowest Expert Ever

Thanks for the input.
    I used threaded rods and hooks to fab a spring compressor an now have the correct spring mounted. :up: