1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing fork springs in the pits

Discussion in 'Tech' started by RichB, Aug 23, 2011.

1. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Quick question on fork spring changeouts in the pits and what people's approach is. I’m sure Ive seen more than one rider with the forks resting on the seals with topcaps off so forks are in a fully compressed state.

I haven’t looked at the clearance but I’m guessing the dust seal gets compressed and is probably the only thing between the lower casting and the uppers in this state. I usually suspend the front, but don’t have that luxury in the pits, just wondering what other people do and if there is any significant effect on the seals by not trying to suspend the front at all. Bike is an 08 gsxr600 btw. Cheers.

2. auz_gsxr

auz_gsxr Well-Known Member

why not do one at a time?

3. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

No triple clamp front stand? They're pretty common, maybe you could borrow one from another racer...

4. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Judging by how common the practice is, it doesn't appear to have too negative an effect. Everyone I've seen just lets the bike settle gently.

If it causes you to increase the frequency of your fork seal maintenance.. is that really a bad thing? :)

5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

that is what we do.. one at a time with a under tripple Pit bull front stand. Can swap a fs out in about 1-2 minutes. "might to the right" when doing 1/2 rate changes. When by myself i can lift on the clipon just enough to start the cap. One of those threaded tubes are REAL nice, as is a flat 19mm open end (slides under easier)

6. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Single sided sounds interesting, I hadnt considered it as I dont have a tool to hold the damper rod (threaded rod you were talking about Melk-man?) and struggle for space/timing with both sides compressed, but I'll have a look. Thanks guys.