1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Champions using the #1

Discussion in 'General' started by 50Joe, Dec 12, 2017.

1. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Not sure if Rossi was the first guy to keep running his #46 in years after winning a championship but I think all classes should require the previous years champion to run the #1. I'm glad to see Elias running the #1. I know it has been used more stateside but I think the world GP guys should have to run it. I know if I was head of Yamaha, Honda, etc I would have written in the riders contracts they must run it if they are the champion. As a manufacturer it would be a sense of pride and accomplishment.

Mot Okstef likes this.
  2. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

In the past 10-15 years or so, Hayden and Stoner did, Lorenzo has done both and Rossi and Marquez haven't. I don't think any successfully defended with the #1 on their bike. It isn't required and racers can be a superstitious bunch...

3. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Certain racers numbers are an identify. Yellow #46 is Rossi, without a doubt. Eliza's number doesn't mean jack shit to pretty much anyone. Same with most racers around the world.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Never understood why they didn't. Instant merch sales with the number one plate.

50Joe, The Great One and crashman like this.
  5. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Many riders have "integrated" it into their regular number, but to me it just isn't the same....

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I prefer using the 1 and putting their number inside of it somehow.

When you're the world champ people don't forget your identity or the brand you've built.

50Joe likes this.
  7. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Doohan had no issues with flying the #1...:D

8. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

The number is now a "brand". Not that I'll EVER have the chance, but I'd run the #1 if I won it. Brand be damned.

9. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

Elias did the opposite, he (kind of) "integrated" his number into the ace FB_IMG_1512642257708.jpg

10. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

That I like. Good for him.

Like mentioned above, though, I don't think Elis' number is a 'brand' as much as some of the aliens, and there probably is some superstitions involved as well.

Phl218 likes this.
  11. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Barry Sheene ran #7, the first GP rider to use his preferred number. Previous champs ran an assigned number at events, IIRC. I don't know if I've seen a picture of Hailwood with a #1 on his bike, I'll have to dig around. But Rossi specifically mentions Sheene as his influence to running his own number and promoting his personal brand. And branding has taken off from there. I think that Nicky ran #1 as that was his brand at the time, and it was a very very big deal to wrest the championship from Rossi (and Capirossi and all of the other early contenders). Plus his undiminished modesty and allegiance to Honda probably led him down the #1 path.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They need to pay more attention to NASCAR as far as branding, there's a reason every special race has a new paint scheme and oddly enough already packaged die casts and t-shirts to match...

The Great One and dtalbott like this.
  13. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Rossie or Marquez don't need their numbers for branding. Just their name is enough.

The Great One likes this.
  14. Nick_OMC

Nick_OMC Will crash your bike

I recall reading an article a while back about numbers in GP and how they were distributed in the past based on points place in the championship. The #1 rider was always the previous years champion, but #2, #3 and so on, were handed out on a race by race basis. I do believe they got away from this practice as it added confusion as to what rider was what number.

15. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I would guess that the number is the one variable the rider can control, as sponsors usually dictate the color. I know that Yamaha came out with special bumblebee (Laguna, 2005?) as well as Fiat 500 livery a couple of years ago. I wonder if the NASCAR branding model would work in MotoGP?

16. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

The more items associated with your brand the better (without going so far as to dilute the brand). Why sell a Rossi tshirt when you can sell a Rossi AND #46 tshirt.

pscook likes this.
  17. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Yes, but after time spent dominating while running their ‘brand’ number.

pscook and Shenanigans like this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Exactly. By the time you are a champ you've got your personal brand built. After that it's all about marketing new products so run the number 1 plate.

Scotty87 likes this.
  19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Why sell one when you could sell both?

20. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Johnny Rea seems to have no issues, either.
    Carl Fogarty did pretty good too.