1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chain tool

Discussion in 'Tech' started by gixxerlvr, Mar 10, 2010.

1. whitey21

whitey21 umm...yeah.

:stupid:

2. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

with the RK, there's no grinding required. Pushes the pins right out. :up:

3. ToddClark

according to that link, their tool can ONLY be used on DID chains. :down:

4. Goldie

Goldie Well-Known Member

I vote for the Motion Pro. Been using it for years with the original pins and had zero problems. Must be operator error if folks are breaking pins like that. I will say that it is imperative to grind the head down with a dremel when remove links to take the stress off the pins. Other than that, I hope I get another 6 years out of my original kit!

5. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

If you grind the heads off why waste your time using a chain breaker? A hamer and punch is far more efficient.

The RK is the strongest I've used.

6. iceman017

iceman017 alive and kicking

I use a motion pro. been working as a tech at multi line dealers for about 10 years and never broke a pin. I saw a guy bend one though - def operator error. I gotta say though - I grind then use a large screwdriver (ground more like a chisel) and a hammer to break the chain. Careful, the side plate will go flying across the shop :D I just do that because it's faster. Faster is the name of the game if you're on the clock. I actually use the chain tool on smaller chains. I always use the tool for riveting though. It does a great job but you gotta use common sense or you'll bend the riveting pin. Just don't let it stick way out of the hollow screw part and it'll never bend.

7. ToddClark

again, with the RK tool, there is NO NEED to grind it down, that's what makes it a better tool than the motion pro (its also just a much better built tool). wtf would i want to have to get out a grinder if i didnt have to? wtf would i want to take add a grinder to my tool list to take to the track when i dont have to?

8. Rumple4Skin

Rumple4Skin Well-Known Member

Because sparks are cool..................RK ftw.

9. kmfegan

kmfegan Well-Known Member

No matter what tool you use or how you do it I find THE most important thing is to make sure all the tools threads are well lubricated before using it.

10. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Rk tool has a nice handle, and works. About the same price as the motion pro, why not just get the rk?

11. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

Works on all chains, been using it for years.

12. gixxerlvr

gixxerlvr Shoot, Move, Communicate

I agree with you.

13. henrytwin

henrytwin Well-Known Member

Just used a chain tool for the first time, it was an RK I borrowed from a friend. I liked it so much I went out and bought one for myself.

14. gixxerlvr

That is inspiring, mine just arrived today.

15. Goldie

Goldie Well-Known Member

I love my Dremel! That's why I don't mind to lightly grinded the heads. It doesn't take much and a big ass wheel grinder is not required, plus Sparks are bad ass!! I'll rather grind than to use a hammer anywhere near my new chain. Just sayin...

GET THE MOTION PRO MANG!!! :D:up:

16. ToddClark

:crackup: again, with the RK, no dremel tool needed, no grinder needed, and no hammer needed. You guys that keep harping on the Motion Pro, have you ever even used the RK tool? I mean, if youre gonna recommend one type over the other, you REALLY should have used them both so you can give an honest comparison. Just sayin'. :D

17. Goldie

Goldie Well-Known Member

I personally don't care about no other stinkin chain tool. The fella in post #1 ask what's the best out there so I voted MP. He didn't ask to compare the RK to the Motion Pro. I stated the Motion Pro because it's all I used and it it has served me well for 6 plus years with ZERO problems. I haven't even mention the RK until now. I guess those raving about the RK are the one's who experienced OE with the Motion Pro!!! Just sayin....

For the record the BEST bike out there is a Kawi 636 if anyone's asking!!!!

Woot Woot... Mauahahaha:Poke::p:D

18. Rumple4Skin

Rumple4Skin Well-Known Member

+1

19. gixxerlvr

I used my RK Chain tool yesterday and that is an awesome piece of gear, and easy as hell to you use. Thanks for all the advice fellas.

20. kmfegan

kmfegan Well-Known Member

Here is the RK tool -

[​IMG]

Here is MP's "Jumbo" tool -

[​IMG]

They both are pretty much the same tool. They will both push the pins out without grinding the head off.