1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chain Question?

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by Smilodon, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

So, I'm in the process of prepping the track bike ('99 R6) for the Barber track day (Oct. 27), and during my checkout I am surprised to find a slight "tight spot" in the chain, apparently indicating some stretching.

The chain and sprockets look nearly new, but it has been out on the track, so it's possible I suppose. The odd thing (to me) is that is so minor. Usually, when a chain stretches on my street bike, it's much worse.

I thought it might be something from sitting on the stand since the last track day and it might work itself out. I've had to book up my time this week to get the days off for the track day, so no time left to put a new chain on.

Being a track only bike, I can't ride it around to warm everything up and see if it clears up.

So, my questions are, has anybody seen something other than stretching the chain that might cause this? And, if it is slightly stretched, would it be safe for the first day to run as is?

I'm going to bring my chain breaking stuff to the track with me, and figured I could buy a new chain there if I needed to. Sure it won't be cheap, though... :(

2. MotorSWATCop

MotorSWATCop Former Trackday Turd

If you can't get it at the track, there is a Cycle Gear about 10 minutes away in Trussville. They always have what I need in stock and are very helpful.

Cycle Gear
    1930 Edwards Lake Road
    Trussville, AL
    (205) 655-5055