1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CCW Options

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Sep 25, 2015.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

For those that carry regularly, how do you go about it? Regular holster and a jacket (or one of those stupid vests)? IWB and an untucked shirt? IWB with a tucked shirt? Ankle? Pocket holster? How about a shoulder rig ;)?

2. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Summer: regular OWB holster with large shirt, Glock 42 or S&W MP9

Winter: the same

Nothing screams CCW more than a photogs vest or a fanny pack on anybody under the age of 72.

3. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

I carry a xds 9 appendix. I find appendix to be the most comfortable and readily available. I can wear any pant, shorts with a regular t shirt and you don't notice it.

I try to stay away from owb as it usually prints and I prefer not to if possible. In the winter I will carry iwb on the hip since I am usually wearing a jacket or sweatshirt.

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I was joking about the vest! I could never do a vest, and never an appendix carry. I don't want to look like a douche and I don't want a loaded gun pointed at my dick all day!

My daily attire is khakis and a tucked in polo shirt or button up shirt. I'm trying to figure out how to make this work without buying a dozen holsters. Gun is a G43 with either an Alien Gear IWB or a little minimalist style belt holster (don't remember the brand, kind of like a galco).

5. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

IWB in about all conditions. Karh CM9 single stack hides pretty easily. with t-shirts and shorts you will find it if you know what to look for. Add a plaid shirt and you never see it. I tried the OWB a few times works ok in fall/winter, reached up for some shit paper at Walmart and pistol was hanging out, bunch of dirty looks from soccer moms made me go IWB. Agree with Fonda Dix, if I see a photo vest of fanny pack, regardless of age I automatic assume the guy is carrying.

6. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

You're going to get about 1000 answers. I use a Remora holster tucked in my waistband. I bought the 1911 full size but it also fits my M&P Shield 9mm perfectly. I take it everywhere. It's by far the most comfortable IWB holster I've ever worn. I can wear it in the waistband of my sweats and run with it if I wanted and it doesn't move.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  7. aedwards01

aedwards01 Well-Known Member

Since you wear a tucked shirt I would something like a Ruger .380 in a wallet holster. Its what I carry when IWB isnt practical.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I guess where I was really going with this is what about real world applications? If you're doing IWB, do you have to buy all your pants bigger? Do you have to wear plaid or pattern shirts? Do your clothes have to fit loose (I hate wearing clothes that don't fit properly).

Where is the best location on your belt? If the belt buckle is 12 and your butt crack is 6, do you position the holster at 3, 4, 5? What about sitting, driving, or doing work?

9. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Airweight in a pocket holster.

10. BillH37

BillH37 Active Member

I'm a big fan of Ruger's LCP. With a Blackhawk pocket holster it drops into my front pants pocket without an obvious print.

Two spare magazines go in the other front pocket, always facing the same direction.

Alway's the same. Every hour, every day, every season. Always the same.

If I'm wearing a jacket, then a Ruger LC9 in a pocket holster goes in it. Again, two spare magazines in the opposite pocket.

The nine then becomes primary because of easier access, relegating the .380 to back-up status.

Usually though, it's just the .380.

The main thing is, consistent carry, identical carry, every day.

Some folks like bigger guns, but a "better" gun is rarely a better carry gun.

Carry what you'll carry, and practice with it at every opportunity.

11. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

This. Buy a clip for it and you can clip it in your waistband and never know its there. Pocket holster for when you're tucking in your shirt.

12. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member

IWB at 6. Its the only comfortable location for me. Shirt has to be untucked. Have never carried spare mags.

Friend showed me a sweet little pocket holtser the other day, said that how he carries, but i cant see front pocket being very comfy for me.

13. BillH37

BillH37 Active Member

Nice thing about front pocket is that it's consistent.

Shirt tucked, shirt out, shirt off, gun is where your hand will instinctively reach in a high-stress situation.

14. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

+1 on the consistency argument.

I feel like a cartoon character. I wear the same pants and the same shirt every day.

Tru-Spec pants or shorts and a pocket tee.

I use an Uncle Mike's IWB holster that clips into the "cargo" pocket of the pants/shorts. Single stack 9. No spare mags for daily carry.

I prefer the pockets of the Tru-Spec over 5.11 stuff. Their shorts are ed Zachary the same as the pants so my hardware is in the same spot regardless of temp. SOG folding knife fits nicely in the mag pocket.

And no one ever looks at me and suspects I've got the hardware I carry daily.

If your wardrobe options aren't limited, I'd suggest giving the tacticool attire a look and see if you can't get form & function that works well for you.

15. B. Myers

B. Myers Well-Known Member

I like the Crossbreed holsters, super tuck IWB.

If I were to ever carry or own a gun ...

16. jeremy dunn

jeremy dunn Well-Known Member

Glock 19 in a Sticky Holster IWB about 4 o'clock, the sticky Holster is comfortable & I can usually conceal it no matter what I wear. I am wanting to get a smaller option for concealed carry, I'm thinking about the XDS.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  17. jimraynor21

jimraynor21 Well-Known Member

T-shirt, IWB.

Jacket/hoody, OWB.

Single stack 9.

18. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

This is my most convenient/practical method. But a Colt Mustang Pocketlite .380 in that same pocket holster. But rarely ever feel the need to carry here in these parts (I'm very rural with little crime). I keep a small non-gun style waist pack in the truck with one spare mag.

Also a G26(plus 1 spare G19 mag) stays in the truck 24/7 for more options/fire power. In a pinch, it can still go in a pocket of some sort. Albeit bulkier while doing it.

19. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

When I carry, which is almost never, I wear a m&p .40 inside my waistband over my right butt cheek. I have a lean build, so it's conspicuous as shit, but if I feel the need to carry, I really don't care who knows.

The coolest thing I've seen if you're a daily carry nutter :D is a wallet holster for a .380 auto that isn't much more bulky than a thick wallet. It has a trigger hole, so the gun is fired from in the holster. A friend of mine carries one everywhere and I never noticed it until he showed me.

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I've seen those and they're neat, but aren't they illegal? I'm pretty sure the gun can't be disguised as something else and still fired. Sort of like those MP5 Briefcases HK used to make.