1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CCS rider looking to try WERA events

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by DBConz, Mar 17, 2012.

1. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

Mongo, I tried to send this via PM, but obviously couldn't.

I'm an LRRS guy as well, but would like to try some other race events outside if NHMS this year.

I'm looking into CCS events at NJMP, VIR, and Summit. I live in Boston, so I won't be able to travel further than VIR.

I wasn't sure what the differences were between CCS and WERA, but would like to try an event or two this season.

What are the licenses cost, difference in rules (MW SS bike), and transponders used?

I did quickly glance through the rule book and schedule.

Sorry if my typing looks like shit, I'm doing it from an iPad.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

License for us is $110 for twelve months or if you're only doing one event we have a weekend license for $30. We use the AMB TranX260, pretty sure it's the same as what LRRS uses.

Honestly not sure on rules but someone who does know should post some answers.

3. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

LRRS is now the only CCS region that still uses the AMB TransX260, so it sounds like I'm covered.

Are garages per-paid for the season, or are they booked per event?

I'm pretty sure the LRRS rules are going to be very close to what the WERA rules are for MW i4 bikes.

After checking the schedule, I assume the classes are NV and EX only? If so, the NV is yellow plates with black numbers?

4. ton

ton Arf!

Garages, if they exist, are per event (Loudon turns out to be an outlier...)
    -summit has no garages. you can buy a wkd's worth of power for ~$30. find your pit spot, then return to the gate with the electric box number and pay.
    -VIR has limited garages that are usually booked in conjuntion with the suite above them. check with VIR on that.

if you're running a MW bike, rules are similar, WERA requires a bit more for tech, so read carefully. WERA does NOT allow 1mm overbore on SS spec machines

NV and EX only. NV is yellow background, black numbers.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  5. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

I've done track days at VIR, so I know they have garages.
    I just didn't know if anyone rents the garages forthr whole season, like NHMS does.

Thanks for the tip on the motor specs. I did read that before posting this thread. It won't be an issue now, as I just tossed in a low mile stock motor from a parted out street bike.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

VIR garages are definitely by event and you have to go through them to get one.

7. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

I wouldn't have to do the rookie race if I'm licensed by CCS, right?

8. ton

ton Arf!

there is no separate rookie race with WERA. so, yes... you race with your class as a novice if you're already licensed by CCS.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Correct.

10. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

I checked the MW SS rules again.
    Looks like I'd have to swap out my double bubble windscreen for an OEM style.

What about this rule:
    Does this mean wave and/or OEM front rotors are not allowed?

I also don't see anything in the SS about brake master cylinders. Are there SS riders using Brembo masters?

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No wave rotors and stock master.

FWIW - our rules list everything you're allowed to change, if it's not listed it's not legal.

12. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

Thanks. I am reading the rules, but I've learned that sometimes the rule books lead to one's interpretation. some items aren't as cut & clear as others.

13. ton

ton Arf!

the key phrase in the rulebook is:

"The items above constitute the entire realm of deviation from showroom stock for Superstock classes. If it does not mention you CAN do it, you CAN NOT."

edit: Sean beat me to it

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Yeah in some other orgs I've seen a lot of flexibility in interpretation if it's not explicitly mentioned. Like Mongo said, unless it says explicitely that you CAN, then it's not legal.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We try to keep the gray out of it all, makes it easier for the officials and riders.

16. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

Thanks guys.
    What about entry fees and Friday practice? What do they usually cost?

17. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

And welcome to WERA.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We don't usually run a Friday practice except at the Nationals - all the fees for the different series are here - http://maps.wera.com/fees/?x=1098

19. Ryan418

Ryan418 Active Member

When I called the WERA office I was told they do not do a single event license. How can I get a single event license and how can I get a race number assigned before that weekend?

I am a licensed CCS Racer.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That is really weird since there are only three of us in the office - and we all know a weekend license is available. It's $30. Now - as for the number and all of the other things that are part of a full license, you can't really handle that ahead of time. Just run your CCS number and buy the weekend license at the track.

If you decide you like how we run things you have 30 days to upgrade to a full 12 month one for the $80 difference.