1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CBR F3 Suspension Setup

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by TD137, Oct 2, 2008.

1. TD137

TD137 Well-Known Member

I bought an F3 for track days with a leaking fork seal so I'm going to be redoing the forks in the process.

Is there a general consensus (or ball park #) on
    - the fork fluid weight to use
    - amount of forks raised in triples & preload/spacer length
    - rear ride height (shock eye-to-eye)
    - swingarm angle

Thanks! Oh, it's a '96 if it matters. I know some difference in suspension between early F3s and later F3s. I think fork spring length changed.

2. sauce314

sauce314 BROWN DYNAMITE

look for melch he's the f2/ f3 guy.or try kmc they know best

3. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I get Thermosman to do mine. All I have to do is drop it off and pick them up when they are done. It's nice.

I think the next time I'm going to get the spreings for me installed instead of just getting them freshend up. Either that, or I have to had another 100 lbs onto the front of my bike.

4. TD137

TD137 Well-Known Member

If I was to race it, I would spend the money to get it sorted properly. For my use...I'm just looking to get it closer to a decent trackbike by making the simple changes. I'm thinking of using it as a cheap commuter as well with gas up. I want to try DIY to see how it is before I pay for the experts.

For the front, I'm looking to change front fork oil up front (if needed) and maybe...maybe springs. I could cut the stock ones (0.71kg/mm) down a little to get a stiffer rate. Need a general number on amount of fork tube showing above triple though.

For the rear, if there is a good eye-to-eye length, maybe I could shim it, otherwise I'll set preload for proper sag and roll with it.

Looked at the RaceTech website to see what they recommend. They recommend 3.5 to 5 wt oil (stock is Honda SS-8 10wt) and a little bit stiffer fork spring. The stock shock spring rate looks okay.

Anybody want to share "real" numbers?

BTW, the '97-98 F3 springs are 2.2" longer according to service manual.

5. melch

melch V7 Pusher

Sure,front drop to 2 1/8" above top clamp.Thats to top of fork,not adjtrs.8 to 10w oil.(JMO)

Be advised,if u are using this bike for the track the stock rear will injure u if u push it.Replace with ohlins,penske,fox.

Also an f4 or 4i will work great if u run the ride height all the way in.Eye to eye is not what u want.Ride height and free sag should be what ur after.The dog bones were diff. on the 95-6,which can be changed applicable to the shock u may find.F2 is the same as the 97-8 as well.

My rear ride height is in here somewhere.Search F2 or 3 suspension setup.I dont remember off hand what it is or where it is.:beer:

hollaback

6. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

ask melch about the set up on his current F3...

yup, he's on a full-blown yankee built machine. james at TRS did the forks. he told me that the bike is the best handling F2 or F3 he's ever been on.

for what it's worth, it has a F3 ohlins on the back.

7. olgoodf3

olgoodf3 'Merica

I run 22" from the eye of the axel to the center of the last hole in the subframe. I ride a 96 too if that helps any. If you start to wear the tires funny, drop it down to 21.5"

8. melch

melch V7 Pusher

Sounds right.Did yours come pre-bent to hell and back like mine??Can u look though the subframe and see the top AND the bottom of the sprocket?Bent V7 is the only way ta go.:rock:

U comin to the GNF OLG???Big fun ya know

9. olgoodf3

olgoodf3 'Merica

My back end isn't too bad, but if I hold my bars straight, my bike does nice left turns:up:

Wish I could be at the GNF this year, but its not in the cards.

10. TD137

TD137 Well-Known Member

11. melch

melch V7 Pusher

Those arent just"some"numbers my friend.Those #'s have won more races than you have teeth in your mouth and have been used by many to do the same.However,those are race only #'s,meaning you must come race V7 since u have the perfect bike to do so and u too will be hooked on 7.

The rest is up to u grasshopper:beer:

12. TD137

TD137 Well-Known Member

:up: I was getting that impression as I read through the other threads. I love these F2/3s.

13. stickboy274

He's a cheater. He keeps nitros in his tires and injects it as he goes down the straights.

14. TD137

TD137 Well-Known Member

I saw a thread where he/melch was selling a V7 F2/3 that put out 106hp. Not sure what he is on now. I'm sure the stock one in my garage would not have much for a bike like that. Hustlin' shark he is.

15. stickboy274

He has dry ice packed around the airbox to cool the charge.