1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CB350 oil recommendations

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by fossil59, Oct 15, 2010.

1. fossil59

fossil59 fossil59

I'm ready to fire up the GP350 CB motor, except for an ignition issue that's being corrected. I seem to remember an old thread where many of the posters recommended Red Line SAE 30 Wt. full-synthetic oil. Is my recollection accurate or is my old-timer's disease advancing ?

2. charles

charles The Transporter

Use only fossil fuels and lubricants.

Just kiddin.' The four-stroke diesel boys will be along soon to assist you.

Don't listen to Chummie.

3. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

All the talk about high-zinc oils followed from recommendations by Megacycle concerning their most radical cam profiles in that engine, that Redline 30wt. syn was one of the recommended oils...If it is a CB stocker I suspect you could run any good slippery stuff you are comfortable with, change it often, and be just fine...

4. Chumbucket

Oh, and ignore Charles, he burns oil...

5. fossil59

fossil59 fossil59

That's OK. I burn oil too, occasionally.

6. Chumbucket

Meh, he's OK, for a mobile EPA Superfund site...

7. freedomgli

freedomgli Well-Known Member

My distick says to use 10W-40 but the factory workshop manual says to use 20W-40.

8. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

Use anything you want and change it often and keep your oil spinner clean. I have never used synthetic and never had any problems.

9. Whiplash

Whiplash Racing Since 1973

I use Valvoline Race Oil 40, never had a problem.
    If you have money to burn, use synthetic. It doesn't make a diff on the short races.
    I do recommend to run 40 instead 30 though.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  10. videojack

videojack Racing for Therapy

four-stroke diesel boys?

I thought most diesel engines were two stroke???

11. joec

joec brace yourself

synth is slippier. so....its a hp gain. been proven on the dyno. need that extra half 3/4 horsey....synth is another way to get it.

i dont use it.

honda gn4

12. videojack

videojack Racing for Therapy

But, total synthetic could prove too slipery for the clutch. Keith runs a synthetic blend on his stocker 350...

13. boogiesg

boogiesg Well-Known Member

Castrol 4T is $4.49 at O'Reilly's. It's a "Mineral based motor Oil", I just discovered that a moment ago. I always thought it was a conventional. Oh well, it's still really cheap :D. I use 20w-50

14. WERA854

WERA854 Well-Known Member

I've had no problems w/clutch slippage on stock or built motor using 10-40w synthetic.

15. joec

joec brace yourself

eric...its been so long since ive seen your bike run im not sure it actually does.

haha. i keed i keed.

but you use motorcycle synth right? hey.....no wonder why that thing is so fast....its that extra 3/4 horsey! haha.

16. WERA854

WERA854 Well-Known Member

I learned at Summit this year that you have keep the throttle open in order to capitalize on that extra 3/4 HP! I hope to put that fractional HP to good use next year. ;)

17. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I've had no problems with clutchs using synthetic (Motorcycle and other mobil 1)....If you have, may be a marginal clutch to start with.

I've been using conventinal for break-in, then switching to either a blend or full syn.....10-40.

In general, I agree with Buff and Joe.....use what you want and feel comfortable with.

I've actually seen recycled / filtered oil used in a stock race motor, and I dont think it blew up....not what I would use, but it was used.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010