1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cat theft question

Discussion in 'General' started by Norton 357, Jul 26, 2021.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

You will not succeed as a criminal with thinking like that.

2. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Yet. Lol. Totally kidding, lull in Olympics.

YamahaRick likes this.
  3. Norton 357

Norton 357 Well-Known Member

Our problem locally is the Atlanta PD, thanks to our brilliant mayor, has a catch and release policy for non-violent offenders. If they catch the thieves, they can get out with no jail time, basically a revolving door that puts them back on the street to go back to stealing.

Jed and britx303 like this.
  4. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Are you being deliberately obtuse? Do you think Green Giant documents where every pea in your bag of frozen mixed vegetables come from?

Precious metals are a commodity like peas or oil or frozen concentrate orange juice. Refiners buy from recyclers who buy from scrappers.

5. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Yeah that is total bullshit. Pulls at the fabric of quality of life, for everyone. A completely apolitical statement, more an ethical, moral, integrity statement.

Norton 357 likes this.
  6. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

My buddy had a cage fabbed and welded up around the convertor like a roll cage.

7. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Not so much that as its LE trying to solve copper and cat thefts with cooperation from the community. But we know how that goes....

8. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

This. If you think most commodities dont have some ‘black market’ stain at this point, youre not up to speed with larger corporate practices which discussions would then be direct to Phil’s place.

9. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Gee......sounds like Baltimore. When we were still there, I had my catalytic converter stolen off my Tacoma when that crap was running rampant. The police wouldn’t/couldn’t do sh*t and the area just got worse for that crap. I will say though, the thieves did a nice job cutting it out very cleanly with a pipe cutter. Made it easier just to run a straight pipe between the 2 halves. Insurance wouldn’t cover it, and I wasn’t about to shell out 2K to replace it

BigBird likes this.
  10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

So your saying up to 50% of the cat thefts are people stealing cats to replace their already stolen cat because they are too much money?

And if not maybe you can offer a service like that. Instead of 2k maybe 500...and you can buy them for like 250 so 100% profit and it seems no one cares.

After all this is 'Merica where free enterprise should flourish. :D

Mike Lafayette and britx303 like this.
  11. britx303

I’d rather just be given free reign to shoot the trash thieves doing it and be given a check for doing so..........for the children:D

12. Norton 357

This

13. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

OK I can get with that. Like some western states do with Coyotes or feral hogs.

Maybe make it more sporting and require you to use 22lr or a bow and arrow (no crossbows). Plus with those the chances for a painful wounding are waaaayyy higher.

tl1098 and Norton 357 like this.
  14. britx303

Oh I’m totally in for that. I hate a gd thief

Norton 357 likes this.
  15. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

You can go after feral hogs year-round in GA.

"I swear Officer, I thought a feral hog was trying to crawl under my car to hide. Had to do something to help cull the local herd, as they are a real issue."

Norton 357 likes this.
  16. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Those bastards have probably stole at least 20 cats off of vehicles on our maintenance yard. We're in a small town in SC.

17. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Chain is a bitch to weld, some thing angle iron would be best.
    Also a camera that alerts your phone through wifi is cheap and has night vision so you know when they are doing it

18. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

The Prius converters are insanely valuable right now and expensive to replace

19. Norton 357

Short term solution. It may not stop them but they will sure have to crawl their ass around on the ground to get under vehicles.

Attached Files:

20. Norton 357

Good to know, I was looking at our Isuzu dump today and it would be easy to attach a piece of angle to the cat if I can weld it. Even if it bolts to the frame the crooks are going in with a saw, it will take a minute to cut through a piece of angle.

The boss has camera alerts but by the time the police get here it will probably be over. They aren't coming with blue lights and sirens over a few cats when there were 10 shootings over the weekend.

noles19 likes this.