1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cash Only

Discussion in 'General' started by GixxerBlade, Jan 18, 2017.

1. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

The cashiers check scam works by letting you go ahead and deposit the check and you think everything is hunky dorrie. You are notified by the bank several days later that the check was fake. What my thing is if you're willing to get a cashiers check why not just get cash like the guy wants?

2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

A cashiers check can be made out to a specific person so if you lose it, you can (potentially) cancel the check. Also, it's a lot slimmer to carry $10,000 on one piece of paper instead of a big stack of easy to see, hard to hide, bills.

3. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Yeah, don't do the transfer at *your* bank if the guy wants a cashier's check, do it at *his* bank. Watch the teller print the check.

Or, like GixxerBlade says.. watch the teller pull out the cash, lol.

I've solved this problem by just never selling a bike.

V5 Racer and GixxerBlade like this.
  4. neckbrace

neckbrace Well-Known Member

Many times, banks don't have a whole lot of cash on hand if you stop in randomly. Early in the day, should be OK but anywhere near closing time and they might come up short. I've had to go to different branches to collect enough cash to go buy something before.

5. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Yeah, they usually end up in the landfill anyway. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!

tophyr likes this.
  6. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I'd be pretty surprised if a bank had less than $10k on-hand. I think if you're pulling out >10k you have to fill out a bunch of IRS paperwork anyway

7. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

yep lol. i've sold lots of *parts* of bikes... sometimes without even using a wrench to detach them.. but never yet sold a complete unit

pscook likes this.
  8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

My wife thinks I'm just like you. Even though I've sold three bikes in the past few years.

9. neckbrace

Indeed I was surprised when my usual branch only had $2,000 of the $8,000 I needed to withdraw one day last month. I had to go to two more locations to gather up the rest.

It was a pain in the ass.

10. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I sold my RZ500 back to a Canadian...deal was cash (USD!). He showed up with a horse-choking wad of 20's. Took half a hour to count it all. With the bike heading out of the country there was no way I was going with any kind of check.

11. rogers1323

rogers1323 Well-Known Member

Is that the smallest bank known to man?

The ones I know about keep between $6K and $10K at every teller station, plus whatever is in the vault. They have to pay to/buy from the vault if they go outside those numbers.

12. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

20's?
    When I sold a Duc 900 SS for $4500, THREE guys went in together to buy it. They had a paper bag full of 1's, 5's, 10's and 20's. It took a while to go through it all, but it was there to the penny. Then, they had a "discussion" about who was going to ride it home. I still wonder how that turned out.

13. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Funny cash story. We sold an RV a dozen years ago to a minister. The day he came to pick it up he came in with a brown paper bag. Filled with 20s. To the tune of $20,000.

That took a long time to count. Always wondered how long it took to skim that from the collection plates.

daveknievel likes this.
  14. Did the bank have a hitching post out front so people could tie up their horses?

I've gotten $5k in cash several times at the drive-thru window and the girl didn't even have to leave her window drawer.

ekraft84 likes this.
  15. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

No shit...:crackup:

Gorilla George likes this.
  16. neckbrace

Nope. No hitching post out front.

I thought it was unusual, too. This isn't some small town no-name bank, it's a national chain. The two branches that are closest to my house didn't have shit for cash on hand when I needed it at the last minute.

I'm just trying to let people know that sometimes this can happen. There's no guarantee that your local branch is going to have whatever amount of cash you need at any given time. Maybe some jerk in the drive-thru just took their last five grand...;)

17. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

I walked into my local branch and picked up 50 Grand in 100's one day.

Like 3 in the afternoon. Walked in, stood in teller line...told teller:

Me: "I would like to make a withdrawl from checking acct ending in 7261."

Teller: "Ok. How much?"

Me: "Fifty Thousand Please."

Teller: "Ahm.....you said Fifty Thousand....is that correct?"

Me: "Yes ma'am. Will that be an issue?"

Teller: "Oh, No sir. Just wanted to ensure I heard you corrctly. It will take me about 10 minutes to get all ready for you and counted and signed off on. Will that be ok?"

If your branch doesn't, or three branches of said national bank doesn't have 8 grand available.....I'd ughm, find a new bank to work with.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I figured there was some pain in the ass person at his bank earlier who took all the cash to go buy a bike :D

pscook likes this.
  19. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

I'm betting that's the exception and not the rule. My CU is fine with large cash withdrawals but asks for 2 days notice on anything larger than $5k to guarantee cash on hand.

Ill do a check if I have good reason to trust someone.