1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carb Jetting Questions

Discussion in 'Tech' started by ZebProctor1, Feb 25, 2003.

1. ZebProctor1

ZebProctor1 Well-Known Member

OK, so I don't know squat about carbs, I'll admit that first off..... So I have a 1989 Suzuki LT160 Quad that is very obviously running rich (Black spark plug, boggs down when I give it gas, and won't run after about half throttle under load)..... so what should I do? I have taken the carb apart, cleaned it with carb cleaner (I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume I was supposed to clean the carb with carb cleaner)...... so what should I do? Go down on the main jet? Go down on the pilot? Mess with that air screw thing? What' really wierd is that I've had this thing for about 5 years, and I just moved from SC to MD, and it never ran wierd in SC, and Maryland isn't that big of a change... it's wierd...... any help will be GREATLY appreciated!!!! Thanks

2. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

First thing that came to mind was maybe choke is not fully off.

But your mention of your move makes me wonder if SC to MD the air is thinner in MD, which would mean going a little smaller main jet.

My main bike is a four-stroke, so I could be way off base. :confused:

3. black&blue

black&blue Broken Member

A sticky choke sounds right. As for jetting, theres a prety good book called the Motorcycle Performance Handbook that's got a nice carb theary (sp?) section. That's a good place to start for some jetting fun. If your at a higher alltitude though, causing you to run rich, you should drop a main jet size (or two) and move the needle down a half or one slot. The air screw may need a slight turn in as well. Just grab a case of beer, an afternoon, and enjoy!
    Brian

4. ZebProctor1

this quad is a four stroke.....

5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Any dead furry critters in the airbox? Could be a case of not enough air instead of too much fuel...

6. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Check your pilot jet, could be clogged.

7. ZebProctor1

took the air filter out for testing purposes to make sure that wasn't the problem....

8. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Zeb, if it has been sitting with fuel in the bowl, that could have gummed up the carb.By cleaning it with carb cleaner, you could have cleaned the main, but the pilot is a different story. You should take everything to a shop and have the ultrasonic it.

9. ZebProctor1

I have NO idea where to take something to ultrasonic it.....

10. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Call around try machine shops.

11. jck22903

jck22903 zee 500, eez like, Faaack