1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car sale ??? Audi A8

Discussion in 'General' started by fastfreddie, Apr 5, 2016.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Situation: repaint the hood, or not, in prep for sale?
    '07 Audi A8 L, sport pkg.

Obviously, matching the paint is a concern and, depending on the result, that may be worse than selling as is...
    I'm torn between letting the new owner deal with it, re-spray($$$) or murder the hood with rally black($).
    Basically, a question of return on value of work.

The car itself isn't worth a lot according to blue books, just want it gone, max return. Trying to determine best approach...
    IMG_2861.jpg

IMG_5627.jpg

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

me personally, if I was the buyer, I would rather you have left it alone, and I'll deal with it.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeap, what bird bird bird, bird is the word said.

BigBird likes this.
  4. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

You could also check salvage yards, online for the same hood in good condition, maybe do an exchange for yours plus a bit o cash.

Canadian Bacon and Phl218 like this.
  5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Long back-story I won't get into but, yeah, my initial thought is "as is". The owner thinks they can squeak more return with a respray, but I wasn't buyin' their logic considering how much proper work can cost.

6. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

As-is. You won't get your money back if you pay to have it actually match the car and be blended. Its current condition won't stop someone from buying it.

7. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Why is the paint peeling off like that? We've had Audis, the paint quality compared to us/ jap cars has been superior.

8. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Sharpie

Dragginass and Focker like this.
  9. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

I would have it touched up , so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb . Can't tell from the picture really but it doesn't look like it is a metallic paint job . So matching a straight black should not be hard . Just my .02

crazywolf450r likes this.
  10. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Get an two or three estimates, average them and take the price off the car. You'll be ahead because you wont be on the hook when something comes up with it unexpectedly, if it doesn't well then that's a plus for them. If it were go to court for some reason, you showed good faith on your part, its an as is sale anyway but it doesn't hurt to have anything in your corner.

Murcielago311 likes this.
  11. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I'm with the guy who said to find a hood at a junkyard. Did that with my first M5 when the fan clutch froze and the blades tried to exit the engine compartment in spectacular fashion. Pretty sure it was under 300 bucks.

12. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

If it were me I would do a hood swap and have the whole car polished.

13. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

A black panel wouldn't have to be blended into surrounding panels. Should cost about 400-500 for a 8/10 refinish job. That would probably make it on par or a little nicer than the rest of the car finish.

14. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

No way this is a scavenger hunt for another hood. Just not in the fact pattern IRT time. Appreciate all the responses, modify with updated responses, thanks.

15. Greg S

Greg S Well-Known Member

Carbon fiber hood yo

BigBird likes this.
  16. BigBird

BigBird blah

The new used hood would not have a matching VIN #, and maybe just some touch up paint as the most extreme fix. If I could tell the whole hood was painted, I would say you were hiding worst damage or there was an accident of some type.

Yzasserina likes this.
  17. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Bullshit/biased/yea/nay?

In fair condition, the value is about $12K, going up to almost $16K on an example in very good-excellent condition. I have checked recent sales of similarly equipped models, with like mileage, and also with the Kelly Blue Book guide for comparison.

This Audi A8L is in very good condition, with only one major flaw that I can find. The paint on the hood has been damaged from snow, or ice removal, or perhaps there was a fault in the factory paint, or icicles falling on it?

Either way, it detracts immensely from an otherwise, well maintained automobile. The interior is near perfect, with little to no wear, and the front and rear bumpers are without any "city parking" type of marks; overall, a clean vehicle with only one problem area.

If I were to list it as is, I'm afraid the perception of most buyers, is that it was owned by someone that wasn't so conscientious on keeping up regular maintenance.I don't think you will realize the true value of the car if it is listed in it's current condition.

If someone didn't get the hood repainted, perhaps they were not keeping up with oil changes, and the regular factory service schedule either, or worse yet, it has been in an undisclosed accident, and the collision repair shop did a poor job on the respray of the hood. The optics are bad, in other words.

I know the car was regularly serviced, but tracking down records from all the various shops, and dealers may be difficult.

I believe it you were to spend $1000-$1500 to have the hood repainted, you would at least get double that amount back at auction.

I could get you a couple of quotes to have the job done if you wish.

You could certainly list it as is, and take your chances though too, but I would paint it if it were my car.

18. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I'll give ya tree fiddy for it......

19. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

in that case, respray. if they have to blend into the fenders, than so be it. But a respray and cut polish would really help.

20. BigBird

BigBird blah

I would just blame VW/Audi..those damn liars. They said the paint would last.