1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car dealer allocation

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Jan 12, 2022.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

Custom ordered cars don't work like that. There's only a VIN when it's on the production line

2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I think I would consider placing a similar order with the family owned recommended dealer in Nashville previously mentioned and asking the questions learned here in this discussion.
    Once you have that agreement in place, go back to the other Audi dealer and tell them the deal is off and you want your $5K back.

joec and Phl218 like this.
  3. 418

418 Expert #59

Now here we have a man with a plan. :)

Good to know that even when you buy a $100K car, dealer still dick you around. Amazing how the whole industry even stays in business.

Phl218, Gorilla George and RichB like this.
  4. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Is the Audi dealer near cool springs? If so I've got to go by the Aston dealer and give them some upper cuts too and I can swing by Audi on the way

Gorilla George and BigBird like this.
  5. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Buy used.....less headaches.

6. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

I sold cars for a few years but nothing on that level. My gut tells me they were a maybe to get one and your preorder with deposit would confirm they would get one or maybe get a few more allocated. Now it’s time for his hopes and dreams to come true and he’s facing the reality that it might not.

When the Nissan GTR was introduced not just any dealership would get them. The ones that did had to give Nissan cubic dollars to be trained on it and get special tools and gizmos/software then how many they got depended on sales, customer satisfaction scores, how up to date the dealership was and on and on. The group I worked for got the most in town. My aunt worked at another Nissan dealer and knew the owner “very well” to say the least. He has Broome and Sheik dollars combined but decided it cost too much. Every. Single. One. For the first model year sold for at least $10,000 over sticker…he deeply regretted that one.

7. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Shitty situation to say the least, hopefully it works out for you one way or the other.

Is it possible that with todays marketplace the dealer is hoping you walk away from the deal as they can now tack on an additional $10-$12K on top and sell to someone else?

I didn't follow the original thread on it if there was one but was it indeed an actual custom build or rather a trim level and specific color you requested? Just curious, not that it matters but I'd guess a full blown custom package would be more iron-clad in terms of it being spoken for and a non-refundable deposit being placed.

8. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Do imaginary cars depreciate?

evakat and ChemGuy like this.
  9. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

No but they don't get dirty either

10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Im guessing with the way supply is... OEMs are delivering what they can to dealers just so they can make sales. My brother has sold 10 "imaginary" cars this month... all TBD in March or April & 100% accounted for with contracts.
    They actually have a white board calendar with scheduled deliveries because they have nothing instock to sell.
    He told me the dealership cant even place a factory order at the moment, due to demand, and has to put a huge premium on "in stock" or showroom vehicles just so they have product to show/demo.
    Its like being a fisherman with 1 pole and a small boat but they are all jumping in the boat by themselves yelling "catch me"!! :D

11. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

This is Broomes version of purgatory. A hot new car comes out. Lots of shiny and buttons. He orders it and is always given an excuse why its not here, production delays, strikes, it fell of the boat...errything. And when it does finally arrive...it looks like the wagon queen family truckster.

With white wheels.

And the sales guy turns into satan and laughs, cause he signed the deal and cant get out of it.

12. Hmm, that could be a possibility (hoping I will walk so they can charge more to someone else). On most of these, they add an extra $10k-$20k MSRP. I have seen as much as $30k over for one in Houston.

I will not pay that. I have no problem paying full MSRP for a custom ordered vehicle. It isn't logical to say "I want you to build me one of these, but I will only give you this much for it". I always have my vehicles built because I am picky when it comes to colors/options/wheels. I would rather wait the time for it to be built, than settle for something I don't really like.

So I fully expect to pay MSRP. But for them to add an extra $20k for "Additional Dealer Profit"?....yeah they can fuck off with that. I dont actually need the car. The SVR just now has 15k miles on it, and doesnt have a scratch on it. It still has the "new car smell". I won't pay thousands over MSRP just to line their pockets. Ill wait and move to a different dealer till I find one that won't do that. Or I will just get a different vehicle.

If car-A is $160k + $10k "additional dealer profit" totaling $170k. And car-B (different brand/model car) is $190k with no additional markup, I would choose car-B purely out of principle. Even though it ultimately costs more, I refuse to pay that pocket-lining bullshit.

DucatiBomber, younglion and BigBird like this.
  13. I just find the whole thing chickenshit. If he didn't actually know if he can order one, then we shouldnt have done all the paperwork.

The ONLY justification for it, is like someone else mentioned, if having the pre-sold order in place means he WILL get an allocation, then sure....I get that.

But his email being worded like "We will get allocation and will see what is being ordered" tells me that isn't the case. His wording tells me he still doesnt fucking know.

He has until close-of-business on the 18th. I am considering that the deadline. If he doesn't respond with an actual order number and expected build date, I am cancelling the order and going to Porsche.

joec likes this.
  14. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Perhaps it’s a brand by brand thing. I have a new Wrangler that I ordered to my specifications. I have the VIN. It hasn’t hit the production line yet.

BigBird likes this.
  15. What is it that I dont understand about this allocation shit? I cant understand why this situation is even a thing. Audi builds the RSQ8, I want one. So I should order one and they make it. Why is it even a question?

If I want a custom P320, I can order it and Sig will make it. If I want some custom Nikes, I go to their website and design them, and they make them. If I want a custom house, I get with a Contractor and he will get it built.

Why is it not like that with cars? If I want one, and willing to pay for it, and they make them....then why is it even a question? I should be able to go to any Audi dealer, fill in an order, pay the deposit, and wait.

16. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

If an imaginary car falls over in the woods, does it make a noise?

britx303 likes this.
  17. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Fucking consumers!

There are about a two hundred dozen Lamborghini Your-asses on the production line ahead of your Audi Skate, and my SQ7 … there’s a lot of vodka for them Slovenian assembly guys to drink before they get to our shit.

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Yes. An imaginary one.

19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Those Germans are supposed to be the best at engineering...why are you taking so many of those apart? :D

Phl218, Gorilla George and R Acree like this.
  20. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Yes. But you can only hear it with a pair of Bose-Einstein Condensate Headphones.

You dont even want to see the allocation paperwork for a pair of those.