1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CANOPY please advise

Discussion in 'General' started by SlingWing, Sep 20, 2021.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

Sabre699 likes this.
  2. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Yes

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

EZ-Up Eclipse II. Just buy it from them. Don't get anything with angled legs. Get the higher end models for what we do. I've got one that has been up on my deck for almost 2 years now and the top is almost finally due for replacement - and that's after it spending many years at races. The frame is still solid.

4. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

I had a $130 Caravan that lasted me 10 years until a storm took it out last month. Replaced with an ezup vantage. Build quality and features are much better, but it's got to be 15-20lbs heavier. We'll see how well it lasts. I don't think it was worth 2x the $.

BigBird likes this.
  5. malamute

malamute ARRA racer

RE: Amazon ABC "commercial" canopies. Unbeknownst to me, there are three levels of "commercial". The tops were the same(thickness), but the legs are different. I learned that after I got mine, and checked ABC's website. FYI.

So far so good though.

6. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

I saw a guy fail to tie down his EZup and it blew into a guys Viper truck at the track. Dented the truck all to hell and the scratches were insane. I vowed to never have that happen to me and would move if I parked next to a guy that didn’t spend the time to ensure his was good to go.

7. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

50$ or 1000$ if you don't drop it or take the canopy off when the storm hits they will all be In the same scrap pile afterwards.

BigBird likes this.
  8. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Had a Quik Shade (before they went cheap quality) I got back in 1999. Still have it. Survived quite a few storms that destroyed others. Got a Eurmax 10x10 with walls direct from them. Not their commercial one, but very durable.

9. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

How you fit the bikes under it with that car holding it down

10. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Eurmax 10x15 all day every day. No 10x10s.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Disagree. They won't self destruct if they're tied down properly - for normal wind that is not a couple of take offs and a gas jug and for real wind it's not even enough to have a couple of 5 gallon buckets of water per corner.

12. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

13. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I got a cheap 10x10 from Dicks about 5-6 years ago now I guess...maybe a little longer.

Anywho, the ones I've seen fail either werent tied down, or were tied down in a way that made the support bracing around the top bow/buckle and fail.

I drill holes in the bottom part of the telescoping lower leg and use cam buckles to tie down (from the drilled hole) to some of the heavy duty camping stakes that I picked up from walmart. It's been through some gnarly storms and still kicking.

14. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Eurmax.
    Had a couple different brands including EZ and to me it’s made better and the design of the peak helps keep it more stable in the wind.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  15. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Yeah I was talking the bad winds, even the cheap ones hold up to wind gusts if you tie them down. But when a thunderstorm comes through expensive or cheap it's best to take them down or undo the canopy or it's going to bend it

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed. No point leaving it up, not like anything will be protected.

BigBird likes this.
  17. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

18. jocko

jocko Well-Known Member

Sam's club sells a EZ-UP 10X10 for $199.99. I've had mine for over 10 years. the top finally wore out and I bought a new top from EZ-UP, still going strong and I use it approx 15 times per year. it has the cross bracing which is essential.

19. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

The Sam’s Club ones are actually very durable. Just wish the came with black tops

20. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

I have a cheapo I bought some years ago. It's lasted a long time; long enough to sound like an exaggeration.

A squall at NCBike bent it a bit but it still stands.

@Tristan 's point holds true. That, and if buying from Amazon, get the insurance. It pays for itself several times over.