1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a mountain bike frame be welded?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Aug 22, 2012.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Just as a follow up.....this is pretty much how it is working out. njracer, thanks for the Titus link. They are going to warrant half the price of the frame, which was $800, so he can get a new frame for $400. The company that took over Titus is a class act.

Thanks for all of the suggestions/comments.

2. breaux

breaux Well-Known Member

Sounds like they are willing to step up to the plate to help out.

If the bike is a full suspension model make sure you check with them what that $400 covers. A lot of times if the front triangle cracks they'll swap out a new front...not an entire frame. Early Trek Fuels broke rears a lot. Trek swapped out the rear only. Also, I've seen cases with full frame swaps where the shock was not covered. You had to resuse the original shock. So make sure you're on the same page with what's being covered.

3. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Cool, sounds like your son can go ahead put a few more bricks under the launch ramp!!!!

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

You know what the worst thing is......we (a good number of us on the beeb) used to jump the same shit on a Schwinn Stingray and they never broke!

Now these bikes have a better suspension than a 1982 YZ250 and they are busting crap all the time:p

5. jb_11

jb_11 Well-Known Member

Yes, but what does a Schwinn Stingray weigh, and perhaps more importantly, what did you weigh then? :up:

6. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

If he's out jumping and whaling around in the dirt that is no place to try to save money.

Get a new frame and don't fuck around.

7. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

Post #21.....new fame on the way for $400.

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:stupid:

Aluminum framed mtn bikes, used properly, will eventually fail. Plenty of folks do get them repaired.

9. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Glad they resolved it for you.

You may want to let us know who took over Titus, so that way they get some recognition for their good customer service & refund/crash warranty policy.

We are all quick to critique companies when they do poorly, we should do the same when they do well.

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

http://www.bike198.com/breaking-news-on-one-purchases-titus-cycles/

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

5spd stick shift? Prolly 30 pounds. I still have it.:D I weighed substantially less.

12. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I have some experience in this subject. Earlier this year I broke the swingarm in two places. The aluminium is very thin. You would need someone good to get anything doen with it.

It was on one of my Specialized frames. They have a lifetime warranty, so I took it back tot he shop. It wasn't covered since it was a demo that I picked up used really cheap.

If you/him are the first owner, go talk to the shop before you do anything. If not, talk to them anyway and see if they can help.

13. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

It's a bicycle. There are plenty of replacement parts in various drainage ditches.