1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caliber Recommendations

Discussion in 'General' started by lizard84, Dec 22, 2018.

1. adrenalist

adrenalist Well-Known Member

Another vote for the six five creedmore. You’re getting excellent advice in this thread.

2. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Agreed, I sort of figured that going in but I just wanted to be sure, a lot of experienced shooters on here.

Thanks!

adrenalist likes this.
  3. Jed

Jed mellifluous

6.5x.284 if you like to reload. Cartridges are about 70 a box I think.

4. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

.450 bushmaster is getting really popular. straight walled cartridge. in Michigan they legalized them for use in the shotgun zone. a shop in Michigan commissioned ruger, and then paired it with a leupold scope, accurate over 300 yards. I have been seriously considering getting one. Ski

5. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Me and my buddy have the 6mm Creedmore and it's a pretty gentle shooter when you have it suppressed.
    I've only shot out to 300 at the range, but dialing up from 200 yd. zero is easy.
    My setup is the Ruger Precision 6mm Creedmore with a Vortex Viper 5-25 LINK
    So far it's liking the 103gr Hornady (Precision Hunter) and 108gr Hornady (Match)

I haven't started re-loading yet, but my buddy has, and he's getting 1-2 MOA at 600.

I'll have to defer on the hunting aspect of it, as I'm only a paper target person.

6. lizard84

The 6.5 PRC is available in factory ELD-X 143 and the ELD 147 grain match also, barrels are readily available at MGM, possibly Bullberry but I'd have to call.

7. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

243 would be first. Not sure what you’re hunting and I know in VA it’s not legal for larger stuff but I also love my 22-250. Super fast and flat shooting. I’d lay on hay bales and fire across alfalfa fields all day hunting ground hogs.

8. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

A little more speed and a little more recoil. Less availability and probably more expensive.

9. lizard84

10. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

11. lizard84

Yeah not being a pro and in reality knowing all of my shooting will be mostly 200 yards or less this will be all I need and can probably handle at this point.I just couldn't pass it up. I was expecting I'd need to spend between $1100 and $1500.

12. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Yeah, that will be all you need and more. I just moved mine over to my 22 for the winter and want to buy another for my 6.5

I want a Leupold VX-5HD for the hunting rifle I'm building. Custom turrets for a long range hunting gun seems to make sense to me.

14. lizard84

Thanks for all the great advice, I have a 6.5 PRC 26 inch MGM barrel on the way, had to be a little different, fitting it with a vais muzzle brake.

15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I'm definitely in the .308/7.62 camp cuz I bought my stuff before the 6.5CM craze, but the craze is well founded.

Comparing the 6.5 with 7.62 out to 1000 yards doesn't tell you much until you look at trajectories. The 6.5 is a noticeably flat shooter but, otherwise, the 7.62 does just fine - it hits as hard at 1000 yds as a .45ACP point blank. Go beyond 1000 and it's 6.5 all the way.
    As far as I'm aware, recoil is a non-issue compared to my .308 bolt gun which I can shoot all day. My AR10, otoh, is a mean bastard, but I hear the 6.5 does exceptionally well in that platform, as it seems to do in any other...flat, mild recoil, and fast.

Congrats on your choice and purchase. Just don't go all CrossFit on us talking about it every time you post. We know, we know... :D

16. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

One of the guys I shoot with weekly in the summer works at JP, shoots AR10's in 6.5 and they shoot very well.

It cannot be argued that a 6.5 is superior to the 308 ballisticly, and the 6mm is even better. With that there comes so quantifiers. IMHO, when it comes to moving steel at 800-1000+ yards, the 6mm doesn't have enough energy so you need to rely on hit lights. The 6.5 in 140gr+ is sufficient and why I'm sticking to it. If you're only shooting paper, 6 all the way.
    Recoil is the other factor in the whole thing. Spotting your shots is a huge advantage, and any more recoil than a 15lb 6.5 with a break, and it gets hard to do under 600 yards. So many things to consider when picking a cartridge these days. The choices are awesome.

17. fastfreddie

Benchrest shooters love the 6mm. I like to be mobile...I ain't luggin' a 40lb rifle anywhere.
    My Barrett's prolly 30-ish lbs with the scope...I ain't luggin' that anywhere, either.
    The AR10 is 15.25 with an empty mag...I got a biathlon sling for it. :D
    In the end, we all work with what we have and, if we're worthy, we can make them work well. :flag:
    (Having good stuff is a great head start.)

18. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

As long as your using the right bullets, seen lots of .308's not make a 1000 without tumbling while shooting 168's. 155's pushed a bit and 175's do fine at 1K.

19. lizard84

Um, yeah, ok. No talking about fight club, 6.5’s , tumbling 308 loads that are out of their element, has the whole world gone crazy?!?!?!?!

20. fastfreddie

Hey, relax. I'm happy for ya. I'm sure you're thrilled and cant wait to give her a squeeze. ...And, yes, I would like to hear about it.

My second to last and last sentences were tongue-in-cheek, hence the smilie. That flip of the lip is prompted by the 6.5 crowd that have been bombarding me (cuz I'm old school) and, sometimes, they can't seem to shut up. :crackup:Seriously, it's an epidemic. Ooh, it shoots so flat, oh, the bullets cut right through the air - crosswinds have near zero effect, oooh, the recoil...yada-yada-yada...

Goddamn worse than an oil thread! :D

Wouldn't barrel have more to do with it? Ya'd think anyone capable of getting to 1000 yds wouldn't be buying bulk-rate, cheap-ass ammo.

I might be on a vintage machine, but it still gets across the finish line. ;) If it comes across the line sideways at 1000yds, it's still comin' at ya harder than a slug from a .45... no one wants to be on the receiving end of that - sideways, tumbling or whatever. I doubt I have this squirrelly bullet issue tho', my groups were tight at distance. I should shoot some paper to confirm the hole punch but 1000yds is hard to come by 'round here.