1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caliber Recommendations

Discussion in 'General' started by lizard84, Dec 22, 2018.

1. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

I’m putting together a semi-custom T/C Encore based single shot project, the interchangeable barrel/caliber platform has always interested me.

The frame will be delivered in a few weeks with a 2 1/2 - 3 lb trigger, didn’t want to go any lighter as it will see hunting use in Florida, Ohio and Maine. A 24 inch MGM barrel in 460 S&W is already on the way as I also have the 460 in an X frame.

My question is what flat shooting/ light recoil caliber will be a good option? I’ll be using factory ammunition, mostly for paper punching but occasional small/medium game use. Choices on the table are 224 Valkyrie, 243, 6mm rem, 6mm Creedmoor, any of the numerous 6.5 variants or any other recommendations anyone might suggest.

The platform is non negotiable, single shot’s have alway been a thing with me, with proper attention paid to headspace and hinge pin adjustments these rifles are excellent shooters.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  2. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

Desired range? .277 wolverine maybe for smaller caliber stuff.

3. lizard84

100 - 600 yards.

4. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

6.5 Creedmoor fit the bill perfectly. Second choice would be 243, then 6CM. Valkyrie is a waste of time, for the most part.

Try the 143ELD-Xs. My Tikka absolutely loves them(handloads).

Newsshooter likes this.
  5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

500 nitro express???

Younoisted the ninja 300 and sv650 of cartridges.
    Why not go with the turbo busa version.

:D

Steeltoe and CB186 like this.
  6. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

What CB said, 6.5 CM, factory ammo everywhere nowadays, and Hornady factory ammo has alway been sub moa to at least 500 yards in 4 different rifles for me. 2 inch groups at 300 yards isn't uncommon if it isn't windy. It is a bit overkill for small game, for that a good ole .223 is hard to beat though a Valkrie might work well. What is the medium sized game?

7. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

My Tikka barrel is on its way out, but I found it still loves the ELD-X. Shot a half dozen in a row into a sub 2" group @600 this fall. Not jump sensitive either.

8. lizard84

Deer sized, I was also considering 25-06, 257 Roberts. Seems like the 6.5 CM is a great choice, certainly no shortage of good factory ammo options available.

9. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

You'll have now problem with deer, especially those little southern variety, with the 6.5
    F you can order a barrel threaded for a brake, that will make it even nicer.

10. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Another consideration should be the 7mm-08. The factory match grade ammo availability is no match for the 6.5, but it is a fantastic all around cartridge that is lower recoil. I am building one right now.

casjoker likes this.
  11. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

The calibers you are mostly talking about are from the same great and very efficient 308, cartridge,with different sizes and weight bullets. The 243 being the lightest more varmint like, with the least recoil. The 7-08 would be the bigger heavier better for deer, but with more recoil. The 6.5 would be just right. I would not consider the 25-06 very inefficient, 270 would be better.

12. Timothy Landon

Timothy Landon Well-Known Member

What he said. I shot them both.

13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

The 260 is the 6.5 class 308 family cartridge.

14. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

wait, no .500 s&w magnum?
    And a .460 should allow you to use .454 cassull and .45 colt as well already.

15. gixxerboy55

Unless you're considering elk I would stick with the 308 based cartridge, besides you have the 460 for that.

16. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

460 for elk? Under 100 yards maybe.

17. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Yes to all this.

18. gixxerboy55

Yeah I don't know what I was thinking, more like a 375 for the elk.

19. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Maybe 460 Weatherby Magnum!

20. lizard84

Jesus, I never said anything about elk hunting with the 460 S&W lol, I went for that just because I already had the x frame. But for the uninitiated in all things 460 S&W, out of a 24 inch barrel a 300 grain 460 S&W still retains 1614 lbs of energy at 200 yards and gets there with a relatively flat arc. If you can't kill anything with that we all have other issues.