1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caffeine on Race day?

Discussion in 'General' started by Cajun Kid, Apr 5, 2016.

1. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

no idea, tbh. might have

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

he always told me the same, but i dosed my caffeine in secret around him :) I have a couple cups of coffee in the morning, then 1 Monster "FREE" (no need for the mega sugar) during the day to give me a lil' pick-me-up. In moderation, i don't see the harm. Just keep pounding water .. even for 2 hour harescramble races. Key obviously, is to start hydrating a day (at least) early before events, not right before. The Ryno power suppliment has changed my riding and racing for the better, more than i ever imagined. 2 scoops vanilla protien with 2 scoops of carb powder an hour before a harescramble, or for lunch at a roadrace.. lil' carb powder in the diluted gatoraid too.

I also suspect that caffeine affects various people differently

Cajun Kid likes this.
  3. khill

khill Well-Known Member

Stick with your regular routine...adjustments on weather for sure - Ex - super hot, be hydrated early and stay on top of it....keep it simple.

Ken

BigBird likes this.
  4. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

from what ive read, stacking mixes like this increases the changes of gastric distress, the new hot topic for sugar/electrolyte supplements. obviously, u dont have an issue with it. i prob wouldnt either and also need to calories because i tend not to eat on race days. but others might have problems. also, high concentrations all at once of sugars increases your chances of insulin shock. drinking the water later prob brings the proportions back close to what they recommend. but its might be better to just do that from the beginning.

5. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Caffeine plus Pseudoephedrine for me...and sadly im not joking both are daily doses.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Try taking the amino L-theanine with it, it helps..noticeably. I did notice that chugging an energy drink would make me alert but sometime a little too jittery when I was at the line gridding up. I happened across a few articles talking about the synergistic effects of caffeine taken with L-theanine. Tried it and it works, pretty well actually. Read up on it, it's worth a shot. The long and the short of it is that the caffeine makes you awake and alert and the theanine acts to keep you level/focused/calm and takes the edge/jittery'ness off.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  7. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

just really hate your kidneys, eh?

eh, i'm awake enough normally. no need to balance the side effects of one drug with another drug, when i don't need the first drug to begin with.

i'm not one of those "my body is a temple" ppl.. i just never started a caffeine addiction, so i've never needed it.

8. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Unless we want fisticuffs at the rider's meeting, I'm drinking some coffee in the morning.

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I hear ya....BTW, theanine isn't a drug, its an amino acid. Its most plentiful natural source is in green tea.

10. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

drug, supplement, additive, remedy.. i do genuinely understand the differences, but once i start thinking about them as "take X to solve Y", they start blurring together for me :beer:

BigBird likes this.
  11. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Take out the Pseudo and then we are talking. About 75mg or so pluss 800mg :D

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I remember when I used to take 2-3 servings of ECA stack a day.....christ! I can actually lose fat easier now taking no fat burners.

cajun636 likes this.
  13. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Checked once per year, but Allegra D is the only way I can live in this allergy hell hole called St. Louis. Son graduates in 1 year, AZ is looking nice!

14. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Hydrating days in advance is just going to make you pee more and dilute your body of sodium.

that can actually be quite dangerous.

15. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

[​IMG]

16. SPENCER_184

SPENCER_184 Well-Known Member

I cut it significantly on race days, coffee in the morning but thats it, then hydrate hydrate hydrate. On dirt bikes we always avoided it to cut down on arm pump... or so everyone said... so i figure it cant hurt to lower the dose some. But like others said i dont completely cut it cause that would likely mess me up more.

17. Of course, but i have been "stacking" things like that for years. I wouldnt suggest somebody decide to try that for the first time an hour before gridding up. It isnt that much sugars because the label says a serving is 2 scoops, i only use one scoop. I sip on it over the course of my break, while also drinking water.

Besides, it isnt as much sugar as you think. Blood sugar is one thing i know how to manage out of necessity. That drink i make ends up with much less sugars than the bottles of coke, or donuts and all the other stuff people are constantly throwing down their faces.

It helps me alot. Results may vary.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  18. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

ahh, i assumed that u were doing the full servings for both mixes. hell, if u are drinking that AND extra water in between races, u might be able to increase your sugar-dose for better performance without any negative effects.

im fascinated by all this stuff if u cant tell yet.

19. By the way, if you will look at the label of that link i posted, it contains 0 sugars (or maybe 1). It is all complex carbs for sustained energy. The only sugars comes from the scoop of gatorade. And like i said, it is less than half of the sugars people get from cokes and shit like that.

20. I am too. I took a lot of classes about this type of stuff, and did some personal training in the side when I first started offshore. I love it, but there is no real money in it unless you get to training stars or pro teams, etc.

I monitor what I drink/eat all the time, but even more so leading up to and during race weekends. There are things I remove from my smoothies during race weekends because I don't want it on my stomach.

I might go a lil overboard with the training and nutrition stuff sometimes, but the way I see it, there are many variables that go into winning that are often out of my control...so I want to make sure I maximize and have full control of the things I can control. I want to make sure that I have done everything in my power to make sure my 100th race lap of the weekend is just as fast, if not faster than my 1st one.