1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caffeine on Race day?

Discussion in 'General' started by Cajun Kid, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Cajun Kid

Cajun Kid Well-Known Member

Yes, No, What say you?

Ol Frank Kinsey always told me to stay away from that stuff over the weekend.

Just interested in what you guys are doing.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why would it matter? Do whatever you normally do.

stk0308, TLR67 and BigBird like this.
  3. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

No, but I don't drink caffeine normally anyway, so when I do it hits me super hard. I'll drink a Monster and literally be bouncing. I avoid it especially on race days because of that; I don't need to be chemically scatterbrained on top of the adrenaline.

4. G 97

G 97 Garth

Coffee and red bull all day.

codyjphoto likes this.
  5. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Yes. Coffee at 4am, water-gatorade-diet coke throughout the day, beer at 5pm. Repeat.

rd400racer and TLR67 like this.
  6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

What Metal Head said..... Except no sodas for me.... Unless Rum is mixed with the Coke after 5....

dsmitty37 and 418 like this.
  7. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

What is the basis for his claim? It has been proven to heighten mental focus..

8. Phl218

Phl218 .

Strong espresso in the morning and one after lunch. Plus lots of water and Gatorade.
    Sparkly stuff after 5.

9. Cajun Kid

He claimed that it would cause cramping during the day.

Actually hoping the Broome comments on this as he is a fitness buff.

Mongo you might know a lot about some important shit, but i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say strenuous physical activity ain't one of them. ;-)

Wheel Bearing and Gorilla George like this.
  10. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Caffeine can be found in many things, not just drinks. Maybe he should have said sodas/coffee/energy drinks IF he was focusing in on diuretics.

11. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I don't like it right before a race. I want to relax and be smooth. Not be amped up and jittery.

TurboBlew likes this.
  12. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I think as long as you start to Hydrate Mid Week it wouldn't matter one bit.....

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Dont do any caffiene on long ride or race days... like to keep the HR low

14. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

The claim of the cramping is due to it being a diuretic and makes you pee. Hence leading to dehydration= cramping. I just take caffeine tablets, and drink copious amounts of water.

Gorilla George likes this.
  15. Cajun Kid

That is a good point.

I typically have 2 cups of coffee in the morning on regular days. Just haven't used any caffeine for the past 10 years during racing or riding days.

16. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Same thing I do whenever I have the urge for coffee these days.

17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Supposedly caffeine has a negative impact on your bodies ability to hydrate. Sounds like something Gatorade pushed to get you to drink their salt infused Kool-Aid.

Ghost of Casby and R Acree like this.
  18. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Come to think of it, this is what I do every day. Lol

G 97 likes this.
  19. Cajun Kid

I might give it a try. I have been taking a caffeine supplement before I do my long runs and I think it works "at least my times are down" could be mental though.

20. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

hell yes. GUs and/or ShotBloks with and without caffeine. i have a hard time eating on race day. supplemental sugar from those and drink mixes def improves how i feel in my 4th race of the day. i usually start the caffeine just before race 3 to keep me sharp into race 4. they arent enough caffeine to make me jittery or anything.