1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CAD Software Options

Discussion in 'General' started by Critter, May 14, 2018.

1. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I miss draughting by hand.

2. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I bet even those couldn't hold a candle to Orvis' hieroglyphics, you know, back in the day.

3. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I'd look into solid works, solid edge, Keycreator if this is for a business. Cloud based stuff like fusion 360 (while decent and powerful, and will probably do the job for you) can be frustrating and costly if, and when it goes down or is inaccessible due to licensing issues. Stay away from subscription based licenses if you can i.e. inventor. I don't like being held ransom for something I bought.

I've got a couple hand drawn prints framed in my house. Many more stashed away in the basement. Always loved hand work, but time marches on......

rd400racer likes this.
  4. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Hand prints are awesome and I wish I could do them. But I know how often we have to change our drawings either because of mistakes or changes, it would be crazy to have to do it on paper.

5. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

I use AutoCAD for work but recommend Draftsight for a free 2D if that is all you need. Fusion 360 is good for free 3D and CAM options but cloud based can be a pain as well.

6. Pitmom42

Pitmom42 Active Member

I drew on the board for 2 years at my first job as a draftsman. I learned Intergraph on my own within months and have never turned back. I learned in 3d back in 1989 and have used several cad software programs. Its like learning a language, once you know the lingo you can use any type of software when you know what you are trying to achieve.

I currently use Revit & AutoCAD simultaneously, depending on the design of the project. AutoCAD for simple projects and Revit for larger and design intense projects. Revit is much quicker for job coordination & completing the drawings and the bonus is the visual aspect for the clients. I have to draw my own Mech/Plumbing and Structural in Revit, since our engineers refuse to use Revit. I did Structural & Mech/Plumb. engineering drafting for years, so it is not a problem for me.

Drawings on the computer are actually very beautiful when you can see the fine details and have a coordinated design which can happen at such a fast pace. I love my job and have been blessed by what I do every day. There are draftsman who get by using the basic commands and still get drawings produced, but that is so boring and you can tell when you see the drawings, they also don't know how to coordinate a project either. They don't want to know really and just want a paycheck.

I like to use the software to its fullest extent and keep learning the newest stuff, of course I don't like to waste my time either. Time is $$ and I don't fool with nonsense bells and whistles that don't help with my progress.

CAD is my life- plus my son's racing now, which is how it's paid for!:D

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

CAD drawings have no soul...but I would much rather edit a soulless CAD file than work with Mylar again.

8. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Anyone know of free/shareware for laying out office space? Don't need anything fancy.

9. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

This is so true, editing is no longer a real pain in the arse.

10. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

My Dad was a draftsman, so I grew up learning do hand drawings. I'd go into the office with him on saturdays and do my own drawings. They had the old school cable style "machines". Once I took Drafting in high school, they had the articulating machines. I use AcadLT at work for designing parts, the building layout, etc.

11. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

I have 2, 3-axis CNC Routers in my shop. I use Aspire and VCarve Pro by Vectric. Aspire can do some 3D stuff, but it's not very good for creating 3D models.

12. Pitmom42

Pitmom42 Active Member

My first job was at the Architect of the Capitol in DC and I had to make changes on Linen drawings that were 48" x 72" sheets. That was horrible especially running a print from them. I am so glad printing is almost a thing of the past, PDF's and 3d walk-thru's are the bomb!

13. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

You are a sick person. I use Creo and basically want to put a hammer thru my monitor a couple of times per week. Way better choices out there.

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The worst part was changing the ammonia bottle.

Pitmom42 likes this.
  15. Pitmom42

Pitmom42 Active Member

The ammonia was great for killing fire ants though!

16. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Haha I feel that way about solidworks. Every once in a while our clients want work in solid works and it is a nightmare. Guess it depends on what you are comfortable with.

acorn27 likes this.
  17. Phl218

Phl218 .

i came from Pro/E.
    After that, solidworks felt like child's play.

acorn27 likes this.